somebody's watching me

"Tell me is it just a dream"

*                 *                  *

   Heavy rain poured down on the team as they trudged their way through the muddy field, slowly approaching the crime scene ahead. Spencer held an umbrella over Bella's head as mud stuck to her shoes. She wrinkled her nose as they slowly approached the bloody crime scene. 

   Bella blinked away the rain from her eyelashes as she approached the lifeless woman. Her throat was cut open, so deep that she was nearly decapitated. Her blonde hair was matted, some of her blood sticking to it like a thick paste. Her wrists and ankles were chained to a scarecrow post, her clothes muddy. Her bright green eyes stared up at the sky, lifeless and motionless. 

   "Her name is Bethany Love," Emily said, looking through the deceased woman's wallet. "She's married, she's wearing a ring."

   Furrowing her eyebrows, Bella approached the woman closer as the sky grew more grey. She sniffled as she examined the woman's face, her features delicate and soft. The new agent, Matt Simmons, joined Bella's side as he examined the body. 

   "The media is calling him The Slicer," Rossi said.

   "The media already is giving nicknames?" Gus questioned. "This is only the third victim, we just got the case!"

   "Third victim makes this a serial killer," Luke said. "He's sadistic, that's for sure."

   "All of these women have been killed here in D.C.?" JJ asked.

   Emily nodded, "Yes, they've all been found like this. Throats slashed open, bound, their eyes open."

   "There's one more thing," Bella said with a sigh, pulling latex gloves out of her pocket before putting them on.

   She approached the body, trying to avert her eyes from the victim's. She reached out and opened up her mouth. Squinting her eyes, she pulled her flashlight out of her back pocket and began to shine it into the woman's mouth. Reaching in, Bella pulled out a slim piece of paper with her fingers that was lodged under the woman's tongue.

   "What the hell," Tara mumbled.

   "He leaves notes," Spencer said, peering over Bella's shoulder as she slowly unraveled the piece of paper. 

   "They're not just notes," Bella said. "They're ciphers."

   "Great," Matt scoffed. "Do we have another Zodiac on our hands?"

   Bella shook her head, "I don't think so. Judging from this cipher, they seem to be pretty easy. I bet we could crack them."

   "Easy?" Gus questioned. "Can I see?"

   Handing over the piece of paper, Gus forced on latex gloves and took it from her. He waved his flashlight over the paper, holding it under an umbrella to protect it from the rain. He raised his eyebrows before handing it back to Bella.