oblivion

"Coming up behind you, always coming and you'd never have a clue"

*               *               *

   Months had passed since Gus had spoken to Bella. Even during cases, he made sure to only speak to her about work-related issues. He avoided her like the plague, packing up his go-bag and leaving work as quickly as he could. He avoided Spencer as well, being civil with him during cases but keeping a distance. 

   It hurt Bella with each day that passed. Each text message and phone call that would go unanswered. Each small comment that would be brushed off. She felt as if she was talking to a brick wall. Spencer didn't mind, he enjoyed the distance Gus was putting between himself and everyone else.

   Bella rolled over in bed, her fingers gliding over her growing stomach. She moved closer towards Spencer's body, absorbing his warmth. She wrapped her arm around his waist and rested her head on his chest, his breathing slow and steady. 

   She continued to sleep peacefully before a loud ringing woke her up. She blinked slowly, feeling Spencer start to stir from underneath her. He reached his hand out and picked up the phone, his voice groggy as he answered it.

   "Ok," he said softly. "Alright, we'll be there."

   "Be where?" Bella asked as Spencer hung up.

   "Guess who struck again."

   "Are you kidding me? I'm so fucking sick of this."

   "Me too."

   Bella rolled back onto her pillow as Spencer quickly stood up, throwing a dress shirt on before digging around for a tie. 

   "I'm still traumatized from our last case," Bella said. "A killer clown. I don't like clowns."

   "Have you always been scared of clowns?" Spencer asked.

   "Always. I never thought that we would encounter any, but we did. Fuck this, I just want to sleep."

   "Let's just get there and crack the new note. Then we'll be able to sleep."

   Bella groaned and rolled out of bed, hesitantly shoving the warm blankets off of her body. She threw her hair into a ponytail before grabbing a dress shirt from her bottom drawers. 

   "I'm going to have to buy bigger clothes," Bella huffed, barely squeezing into her top. 

   "Do you want one of my sweaters?" Spencer offered.

   "Actually, that would be amazing."

   Spencer grinned before reaching into the closet, digging around before pulling out the striped, maroon sweater. Bella smiled and squeezed Spencer's cheek. 

   "A classic," she said. "Thank you."

   "Of course," Spencer grinned. "You've always looked better in it anyway."