hidden in the sand

"When you had to bid adieu"

*           *           *

   "There she is!" Derek exclaimed as Bella opened up the conference room door.

   Confetti and streamers hit Bella in the face as she fluttered her eyes and smiled in shock, cheers and applause erupting in the room. She heard Spencer laugh behind her, his hands pressing onto her hips. 

   "What's all this for?" Bella asked with a chuckle.

   "Welcome back!" Penelope exclaimed. "You finally get to kick some ass again!"

   "Aren't you excited to look at photos of dead people all day?" Tara gasped sarcastically. 

   JJ shoved a vanilla cupcake into Bella's hands before wrapping her in a tight side hug. Rossi walked over to her, planting kisses on both of her cheeks. Tara gave her a hug before Derek swooped in, lifting her off of her feet as he hugged her. Hotch grinned and hugged her gently, Bella giving him a wink before biting into her cupcake.

   "How's motherhood treating you?" JJ asked. 

   "Oh, just lovely," Bella answered. "Yeah, I love being awake all night and getting thrown up on!"

   "It's paradise, huh?"

   "I don't know anything that could be better than that!"

   Penelope held up a case file, "How about a brutal case to welcome you back with open arms?"

   Bella gasped, "How brutal are we talking?"

   "Brutal," Hotch said, raising his eyebrows.

   The team sat down as Penelope handed out the files, Bella running her fingers over it and grinning to herself. She didn't realize how much of a rush she got whenever she was here. Whenever she was able to work on a case. It was like an addiction that she didn't want to work on. 

   "They're calling him The Birthmark Butcher," Penelope said, grimacing as she clicked through the photos. "McAllen, Texas. 10 people in 2 weeks. He slits their throats and then he--and then he--"

   "Slices off their birthmarks," Bella whispered, staring at the gruesome photos.

   "It gets worse. Much, much, much worse. He sent a letter to the police, telling them how he will...eat the birthmark."

   "My god," JJ mumbled.

   The photos depicted both men in women, large gaping slits in their necks oozing with blood. Portions of their skin was sliced off and there were bruises covering their skin.

   "He's beating them first," Spencer pointed out. "Probably gaining control in that way, beating them into submission before killing them. He doesn't keep them which means he probably kills them within the first hour of kidnapping them."