she knows

"Bad things happen to the people you love"

*           *           *

   One week later, Bella watched as Gus' casket was lowered into the ground and buried. She watched with glossy eyes, feeling as though her legs were made of jelly and her hands were paste, sticking to everything bad and latching on forever.

   At first, she cried hard. She cried until her head ached and she needed an Ibuprofen to fall asleep. She cried until her face was red and she couldn't breathe. She cried until she wasn't hungry anymore and she forgot to brush her teeth. Eventually, the crying turned into numbness and she found herself staring at the ceiling without a hint of emotion on her face. She stared into her cereal bowl until her Cheerios got soggy and the milk got warm and she needed to throw it all away. 

   Luke recovered from his gunshot wound quickly. He didn't like to talk about what Gus looked like. He didn't like to talk about the sound of his body hitting the ground, or the sound of the bullet entering his soft skin. 

   They still didn't know who did the shooting. Luke didn't see anything. He didn't hear anything but footsteps. Gus was gone, there was no way to know. With each minute that ticked by, Luke tried to force himself to remember anyone he saw in the parking lot. Each time, he couldn't remember a single thing. 

   The only thing keeping him going was Aurora. She rushed to the hospital, burying her face into his neck as she wept in his arms. She hated crying in front of others, but she couldn't seem to stop herself. Luke hugged her and refused to let go, memorizing the way she felt in his arms and the way her hair tickled his skin.

   Gus didn't have any family. He had lost his parents when he was 19. He didn't have any siblings. He hadn't talked to his cousins in decades. Barely anyone was at his funeral. That alone was enough to break Bella's heart even more. 

   Spencer was quiet the entire time. He stared at Gus' casket, placing a rose on it before quickly turning away. He kept his eyes on the ground the entire time, refusing to look up. His eyebrows were furrowed as his head spun with every interaction he ever had with Gus. Every single fight. Every disagreement. He wondered if he might've been too cruel. He also couldn't help but wonder if karma was real. 

   After Gus was buried, Bella instantly made a dash to her car. Once inside, she allowed herself to feel every single emotion that was coursing through her body. She felt angry, she felt defeated, she felt confused. She almost couldn't process anything that was happening. It felt like too much at once.

   She wondered if bad things would ever stop happening to her. 

*           *           *

WEEKS PRIOR

   "Good," Spencer nodded. "One more thing, don't take this out on Bella. It's between us. She doesn't need your attitude, ok?"