love grows

"And I've just got to tell her, that I love her endlessly"

*           *           *

   "Spencer!" Bella exclaimed. "I think she's had enough."

   "Really?" Spencer questioned, spoon-feeding Emma vanilla cake. "But we're celebrating!"

   "She's going to go into a sugar coma."

   Spencer sighed as Bella pulled the cake away from the both of them. He grabbed a napkin, wiping Emma's mouth as she giggled and tried to swat the napkin away. 

   "Mama is a buzzkill, huh?" he whispered, looking over at Bella with an amused grin as she swatted his arm. 

   "Bye-bye," Emma waved at the cake that was being packed into the picnic basket.

   Bella and Spencer chuckled as Spencer kissed the top of Emma's head. He gathered her in his arms before looking up at the sky, looking at the big clouds rolling by. 

   "Look at that, pumpkin," Spencer whispered, pointing up at the clouds. "That looks like a cupcake."

   Emma looked up at the sky as Spencer held her on his lap, pointing up. With a giggle, Emma pointed up at the sky as well. A couple of hummingbirds flew by, landing on the large branches of the tall trees. 

   "Love," Emma babbled, the word barely audible. 

   Bella raised an eyebrow, "Did she say 'love'?"

   "I think she did," Spencer smiled. "Do you love the hummingbirds, pumpkin?" 

   "She's smart," Bella smiled, brushing some of Emma's curls out of her face. 

   "Well, so are her parents," Spencer said, looking up and giving Bella a wink. 

   Bella smiled as Emma stood up, toddling over to a patch of flowers growing. She stared at them, reaching out and touching them with her small hands. 

   "Can you believe this?" Spencer asked.

   "What?" Bella questioned.

   "We're on our hill with our daughter. The same hill we had one of our first dates on. The same hill we got engaged on."

   Bella raised her eyebrows, "God, I feel old." 

   "We are getting old."

   "At least we aren't in our 40s yet."

   "That's true."

   Spencer and Bella chuckled, glancing over and watching Emma pick at the grass and dandelions. Bella squinted her eyes against the sun before turning back to Spencer. He looked over at her, flashing her a warm smile.

   "How are you doing?" Bella asked, her voice warm.

   "I'm great," Spencer responded. "I'm home now. I have you and Emma back. There's nothing more that I need."