maniac

"It can cut you like a knife"

*                *                *

   "Please," a woman with dark brown hair begged. "I--I have a family. I have children!"

   "Very sad to hear, Prudence," a deep voice said.

   The woman's eyes widened, "How do you know my name?"

   "How can I not know your name? I know you so well!"

   "W-what? How do you know me?"

   The deep voice chuckled, "Prudence, honey, I need you to understand something. Ok?"

   Prudence nodded slowly, tears running down her face as she squirmed uncomfortably due to the tightness of her restraints.

   "I like to watch my girls first," the man said. "I like to get a feel of who they are. I like to know who I'm dealing with."

   "You've been stalking me?" Prudence cried.

   "Stalking? I wouldn't call it stalking! I merely kept an eye on you, that's all."

   "I don't understand."

   "You have 3 children, two boys and a girl. Your husband works for a lipstick company. You work as a receptionist at a pediatrician's office. Once you get off work you go to yoga while the kids are at piano practice. You like to drink red wine at night, especially once your husband gets home. Does he stress you out?"

   Prudence widened her eyes in shock before she let out a loud sob, struggling against her restraints as more and more tears streamed down her face.

   "I love my husband," she cried. "Why are you doing this to me? I've done nothing wrong! I'm a good person!"

   "Yes, yes, yes," the man sighed. "I'm sorry, Prudence. But your birthday is October 23."

   Prudence blinked away some tears, "Why does that matter?"

   "Unfortunately, it matters a lot."

   The man then quickly wrapped a belt around Prudence's neck, strangling her as she attempted to fight him off. Her body slowly began to go more and more still until she slumped over, her neck bright red as the man pulled the belt away. 

   The sound of loud cries woke Bella up, pulling her out of the horrific dream. Her heart thudded against her chest as she sat up in bed, turning on the lamp on the nightstand. 

   "Pumpkin, what's wrong?" she heard Spencer whisper.

   Bella glanced over to see Spencer bouncing Emma in his arms, the toddler's face red and wet from the number of tears she was shedding. He rubbed Emma's back and looked over at Bella, his eyes tired.