city of stars

"I felt it from the first embrace I shared with you"

*                    *                   *

AUGUST 28, 2019 (9:23 a.m.)

   With a groan, James woke up with dry eyes and a pounding headache. He felt lightheaded and dizzy as if the entire room around him was spinning uncontrollably. The sun outside was too bright for his liking, he felt as if he was trapped under a giant desk lamp.

   Rolling over, he looked down at the bed he was laying in. He furrowed his eyebrows and sat up, ignoring the pain in his head as he glanced around the room. The pillows from the bed were thrown onto the floor and the blankets looked as if someone had scrunched them up and rolled around in them with no plan of stopping. 

   Reaching for the nightstand, James felt around for his glasses before coming up empty. He leaned over the side of the bed, finding his glasses along with a towel. He furrowed his eyebrows and looked around for his phone, also finding it discarded on the ground hidden underneath a pillow. 

   Forcing himself out of bed, James threw the blankets off of his body only to let out a shocked gasp. He quickly realized that he was completely naked from head to toe. He fell to his knees, desperately searching for the pair of boxers he must've drunkenly taken off. With a worried mind, he quickly found his boxers near the end of the bed. They were damp and crumpled up into a ball. 

   "What the hell?" James whispered to himself.

   The sudden sound of footsteps approaching the room startled him. With a string of curses, James forced the uncomfortable pair of boxers on before jumping back up and throwing himself back into bed. He pulled the covers up and closed his eyes, listening as someone knocked on the door before slowly opening it.

   "James?" Tara whispered. "Are you up?"

   "What?" James asked, forcing his voice to sound groggy. "Oh, yeah, I'm up."

   "Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you."

   "Oh, it's no problem. Good morning!"

   Tara chuckled, "Good morning. You had quite the night, didn't you?"

   "I...uh...I honestly have no idea what happened."

   "Well, you did have 7 shots and a whiskey sour."

   "Oh my god."

   "Yeah, oh my god is right. How are you still alive?"

   "I don't feel alive."

   Tara laughed and looked over the entire room. She widened her eyes and looked back over at James, the young agent running his fingers through his hair as he longed for a Tylenol. 

   "What the hell happened in here?" she chuckled.

   "I have no idea," James sighed. "Tara, I never get drunk like that. I typically can remember everything that happened. I'm so embarrassed."