lovers rock

"Because love, can burn like a cigarette"

*           *           *

   "Honey!" Spencer yelled as he opened up the front door, sliding into the house with a larger-than-life smile on his face. "I'm home!"

   He tossed his briefcase to the side, it landing neatly on the couch. He continued to smile as he adjusted his tie, it matching well with his crisp black suit. He glanced in the mirror, checking to make sure that his slicked-back hair was still perfect.

   "Golly, I've missed you!" Bella answered, swinging open the kitchen door as applause erupted in the background.

   She smiled, her pearly white teeth shining as she adjusted her perfectly curled hair and wiped her hands on her flower-printed apron. Flour covered her nose and water stains lightly stained her dress.

   "You're just in time for dinner!" Bella smiled. "We're having chicken pop pie!"

   "Darling, don't you mean chicken POT pie?" Spencer questioned.

   "Pot? What is the pot for?"

   "Well, that's just what they call it!"

   "I thought I was supposed to cook it with a glass of pop!"

   "Oh, golly me!" Spencer exclaimed, covering his face with his hands as a laugh track echoed in the background. 

   Bella furrowed her eyebrows in confusion as the laugh track intensified. Spencer let out a breath and put his hands on his hips.

   "Darling, you have some flour on your nose," he pointed out.

   "Darn flour!" Bella exclaimed. "No matter how much I water it, it never grows!"

   "Honey, that's not the flour you water. This flour is what you use to bake with!"

   "Then what did I put in the cake..." Bella trailed off, putting a finger to her chin as the laugh track got louder. 

   Spencer shook his head and chuckled, walking over to Bella and brushing the flour off of her nose. 

   "You silly girl," he chuckled. "Maybe we better head on down to the diner tonight, how does that sound?" 

   "Splendid!" Bella smiled. "Maybe I should wash up first."

   "Good idea."

   Spencer waited with his hands on his hips as Bella disappeared into the kitchen. He heard the sink turn on before scrunching his nose, the smell of smoke filling the air. 

   "Darling, are you alright in there?" he called out.

   The kitchen door opened as smoke escaped, Bella stumbling out as she coughed and fanned the air. Slowly, she held up a pan with a chocolate cake inside. She reached down and pulled out a flower.