feeling good

"It's a new day"

"It's a new day"

Episodes: "Green Light" and "Red Light" (Season 12, Episodes 21 and 22)

*               *               *

   Bella poured the strawberry cake batter into the cake pan. She pushed it into the oven before turning her attention back to the buttercream frosting on the counter. She gave it one last stir before glancing over at Emma.

   "Do you want a taste, Em?" she asked.

   Emma nodded, her eyes setting on the frosting. Bella grabbed another spoon, scooping some frosting up, and handing it over to Emma. She licked the frosting off of the spoon, her eyes lighting up as she smiled in delight. She reached her hands out, trying to grab the bowl.

   "No more, Em," Bella said. "You can have some more when the cake is done."

   Emma frowned as Bella gently took the spoon out of her hands, rinsing it off in the sink before putting it in the dishwasher. She turned and wiped Emma's mouth as a loud knock sounded at the front door. Furrowing her eyebrows, Bella made her way to the front door and answered it. 

   "Bella!" JJ exclaimed, the second the door was opened. 

   "Hey," Bella said, looking at JJ and Gus. "What are you two doing here?"

   "Can we come in?" Gus asked, his face serious.

   Bella's face twisted in confusion, "Uh--yeah. Of course."

   Opening the door even wider, Bella let JJ and Gus into her house. The two agents looked around frantically, their eyes wide and their mouths turned down. 

   "What's going on?" Bella asked, her heart beginning to speed up. "I can see fear in your eyes. What is going on?"

   "Bella," JJ began. "Is Diana here?"

   "No, she's out with the nurse I hired. Why?"

   Gus' face paled, "Bella, when's the last time you heard from them?"

   "A-about an hour ago. Why? You're scaring me." 

   JJ and Gus exchanged glances as Bella continued to look at them with confusion and fear sweeping over her. Emma began to whine out in the kitchen, prompting Bella to go and scoop her up. She bounced her on her hip as Emma looked over, looking over at Gus. A grin spread across her face as she reached out for him. Gus grinned back at the toddler as Bella made eye contact with him. 

   "Here," Bella said, handing Emma over to Gus. 

   "There's my girl," Gus said softly, squeezing Emma's cheek as she giggled and buried her head into his chest. 

   Bella crossed her arms and looked at JJ, "Tell me what's going on. I can take it."

   JJ sighed, "This isn't going to be easy to explain, Bella. But, the woman you hired is not who you think she is."