space junk

"Welcome to my only world"

*              *              *

   "This is the closest thing that we have," Penelope said, showing Bella and Emily her computer screen. 

   "How did you get this?" Emily asked.

   "The Slicer killed again last night, there was something important. There was a witness and they said it was a man by the name of Ned Snyder."

   "They gave a name?"

   Penelope nodded, "They said that it looked like their neighbor, Ned Snyder."

   "We can't arrest people just because someone said the unsub looked like their neighbor."

   "I-I know," Penelope sighed. "Which is why I did some digging."

   She quickly opened up every photo and tab, filled with old police records and mugshots. Bella narrowed her eyes, staring at the photo of Ned.

   "37-year-old Ned Snyder," Penelope said. "He went to jail for beating his pregnant wife. Then he went to jail again for attacking and choking out his second wife. He then did some time in jail for possession of cocaine."

   "What else?" Bella asked.

   "He studied cryptology in college," Penelope pointed out. "He knows ciphers. He knows how to make them."

   "What did the witness say?"

   "They said they saw him lurking around where the last victim was found, the wooded forest behind his house. She said he looked tired."

   Emily sighed, "What did the latest note say?"

   "'My princess, my princess. I too shall pass when you do. For my heart breaks when you are gone,'" Bella recited. 

   "This man fits the descriptions of his own riddles," Emily said. "He's tall, he lives here in D.C., he studied a program the FBI promotes and teaches."

   "What if this is our guy?" Bella breathed. "He fits the profile. 30s, ex-wife, history of domestic violence."

   "I don't know," Emily hesitated.

   "No offense, Em," Penelope began. "But this might be the closest thing we have to a potential suspect."

   Emily pressed her lips together, looking between Bella and Penelope. With a gulp, she nodded and took one last glance at Ned.

   "I'll get a warrant," she said. "Snow, I want you, Humphries, Alvez, and Reid out there."

   "Ok," Bella nodded.

   "I don't want you inside the house, though."

   "Why?"

   "Uh--you're pregnant."