fourth of july

"Did you get enough love, my little dove"

*                 *                 *

   A brunette woman sighed, setting her empty wine glass down on the kitchen counter. Tears flooded her eyes as she sniffled, wiping her nose before reaching for the wine bottle. She poured herself another glass, bringing it to her lips and barely letting herself taste the rich wine. 

   The kitchen door opened as a young girl walked into the room with her eyes narrowed. She huffed, rolling her eyes before throwing open the refrigerator door and grabbing a water bottle. The brunette woman glanced over at her before letting her eyes fall back onto the empty wine glass in her hands.

   "It wasn't much," the woman whispered. 

   "It never is, mom," the young girl replied, taking a long sip from the water bottle.

   The woman pursed her lips and set the glass in the sink, turning on the water and letting it rinse off any evidence that wine existed within the glass. The young girl finished her water, tossing the bottle into the recycling bin.

   "Did you finish your homework?" the woman asked. 

   "Yep," the girl answered, annoyance caught in her voice. 

   They stared at each other for a couple of seconds, awkwardness filling the air and strangling them. The young girl pressed her lips together before crossing her arms.

   "I have a volleyball game tomorrow," she said. 

   "Tomorrow?" the woman gasped. "Oh, honey, I'm busy tomorrow."

   The girl scoffed, "Busy? With what? Don't tell me you went back to him."

   "Honey...he's a good man."

   Letting her mouth fall open in shock, the girl let out a scoff before turning on her heel and marching out of the room. The woman watched after her with glossy eyes, her hands trembling as she swallowed the lump in her throat. 

   A pair of headlights outside caught her attention as she glanced over. Her heart sunk as she moved closer to the window, squinting her eyes to see the silhouette of the grey Chevrolet Impala outside. Wiping her eyes, she opened up the front door and walked outside with her arms crossed.

   "Leslie!" a man's voice called out through the window. "Come on, let's go out."

   "I-I can't," Leslie replied, her eyes looking down at the ground.

   The man furrowed his eyebrows, turning off the car before stepping out of it. He circled the car, gliding his tongue across his teeth as he scowled.

   "Why the hell not?" he spat. 

   "I need to think about my daughter," Leslie responded. "She--she worries about us."