16 candles

"For ever and ever for I love you so"

*           *           *

   Spencer stepped into the large house first, shoving his hands into his pockets as he tried to maintain a calm expression. Slowly, Bella moved into the house behind him and followed him into the living room. Once she entered, she let out a quiet gasp as Spencer looked back at her.

   "4 dead," an officer said. "Grace Swenson, Vicky Lovesberg, Destiny White, and Fawn Harbor. All 16. All best friends."

   "Shot to death," Spencer pointed out, clearing his throat as he moved in closer to the bodies.

   "Yep, all within 5 minutes. They were here celebrating their friend Nessa Kent's 16th birthday."

   "Where is Nessa?" Bella asked.

   The cop frowned, "That's the thing, Nessa isn't here. There's no body."

   "Nessa is missing?" Spencer clarified. "So not only is this a quadruple murder, this is a kidnapping. Does the family know? Do the families know?"

   "Yes," the cop nodded. "Yes, they know. Nessa's parents were out of town for the night. They're on their way back right now."

   Spencer bent down, putting on gloves before moving in closer to the bodies. He examined the bullet wounds, squinting his eyes before quickly looking away. Bella frowned, staring at all 4 bodies. She closed her eyes and looked down at her feet.

   "I've been a cop for 25 years," the cop said. "This is Richmond, Virginia, I never thought something like this could ever happen."

   "You'd be surprised," Bella mumbled. "Was anything stolen? Any valubles missing?"

   "None, every electronic and piece of jewlery is still here."

   "Did any of them try calling 911?"

   "No, they didn't have any time. He--he killed them so quickly."

   Bella nodded before putting on her own latex gloves. She knelt down next to Destiny's body, looking over it as her eyes glanced around the room. She looked in the doorway, her eyes squinting as a strand of black hair caught her eye.

   "Spence," Bella said, catching his attention. She nodded over at the hair, Spencer widening his eyes.

   "What is it?" the cop asked.

   "We just found a crucial piece of potential evidence," Bella said as Spencer grabbed a bag, picking up the hair and putting it in.

   The cop stared in shock, "How did you spot that?"

   Bella shrugged, "Good eyes?"

   "Sir, she's been in the FBI for almost 11 years, she's trained for this kind of stuff," Spencer said, his eyes glued to the hair inside the plastic bag.