watching him fade away

"Walk around as if you never cared in the first place"

*                   *                   *

   Derek stepped over the large pile of building blocks that Hank and Emma were busy playing with. He made his way to the front door, the loud sound of knocking filling the entire house. He answered the door and smiled widely.

   "Kid!" he exclaimed, pulling Spencer into a tight hug.

   "Hey, Morgan," Spencer laughed.

   "You're just in time to watch the kids try to build the Eiffel Tower."

   Spencer widened his eyes and let out a laugh as he stepped into Derek's house. The two toddlers worked diligently, stacking the blocks over and over again only to watch them fall over repeatedly. 

   "Em, look who's here!" Derek smiled.

   Emma looked up, her eyes twinkling once she saw Spencer, "Dada!"

   "Hey, pumpkin!" Spencer exclaimed, scooping Emma up and planting a large kiss on her forehead. "Did you have fun today?"

   "We built a tower!" Emma cheered, pointing at the pile of blocks.

   "I see that! You did so well, princess!"

   Emma let out a chuckle, wrapping her arms around Spencer's neck and hugging him tightly. Spencer kissed her cheek before setting her down.

   "Go get your shoes on, baby," he said, patting her on the back as she toddled over to her light pink boots. 

   Derek scooped Hank up, the toddler crying out and reaching for the blocks as Derek kissed him on the forehead. 

   "He loves when she comes over," Derek chuckled. "He's already a ladies' man, huh? Just like his daddy."

   Spencer laughed, "Thanks for hosting this playdate, Derek. Ophelia has been teething so our house is filled with nothing but tears."

   "Anytime, kid. Bring her over whenever you want! She's an angel."

   "Isn't she?"

   Spencer and Derek chuckled and looked over at the small toddler. She finally got her boots on, standing up and making her way over to Spencer before wrapping herself around his leg. 

   "Are you ready to go, pumpkin?" Spencer asked, looking down at his young daughter. "What do you say to Uncle Derek?"

   "Daisy!" Emma exclaimed.

   Spencer furrowed his eyebrows, "Daisy?"

   "Daisy," Derek nodded, earning a confused stare from Spencer. "It's her imaginary friend she's been playing with all day."

   Spencer raised his eyebrows, "Ohhh."

   "Daisy!" Emma exclaimed again, pointing over at the building blocks.