matilda

"You don't have to be sorry for leaving and growing up"

*              *              *

   Staring at the newspaper in front of her, Bella's eye twitched as she scowled. It didn't matter how many times she read the headline over and over again, it still felt like hand sanitizer in an open wound.

   TERROR! THE SHADOW STRIKES AGAIN, KILLING 13 WOMEN AT A CHURCH.

   "The Shadow," Bella mumbled to herself, shaking her head. "Why do they have to give them such ridiculous names? He's a fucking murderer for crying out loud."

   She shoved the newspaper away and turned back to the paperwork she had been attempting to complete. As she fiddled with her pen, the newspaper taunted her in the corner of her eye. She huffed, grabbing it, and throwing it into the garbage can.

   "We finally get put onto this case and they barely have us doing anything!" James exclaimed, walking with Florence as they both munched on chocolate donuts. 

   "He just shot those 13 women and all they want us to do is analyze his clear misogynistic tendencies," Florence scoffed.

   "I hate guns. I hate them, I hate them, I hate them. People get their hands on guns way too easily in this country."

   Florence nodded, "This is a young guy too. He's clearly inexperienced yet he has been mass murdering people left and right."

   "The scary thing is...you never know who's next."

   "Why the hell does he only target women?"

   "Maybe because he's a sick bastard."

   "Or maybe because he's inspired by a man who also only killed women," Bella said, throwing her pen down. She looked over at James and Florence, their eyes going wide.

   "Sorry, Dr. Snow," Florence said. "I'm only an intern, I obviously haven't learned how to read the room yet."

   "I'm sorry as well," James said. "I'm not an intern anymore, I'm just really stupid."

   Bella let out a sigh, "You're fine, I'm-I'm just stressed out."

   "Well, of course you are," Florence said, taking a seat next to Bella. "You found out a lot of shocking things, Dr. Snow. You really shouldn't be ok."

   "Exactly," James agreed. 

   Spencer made his way over, carrying a hot cup of coffee to his desk. He eyed Bella, noticing how drained and exhausted she appeared. 

   "Pretty Bella," Spencer said, grabbing her attention. "Are you alright?"

   "I'm tired," Bella admitted. 

   "Then take the day off, honey."

   "Taking the day off means I have to go home and take care of two toddlers while pregnant. No thanks."