we'll meet again

"But I know we'll meet again some sunny day"

Episode: "Entropy" (Season 11, Episode 11)

*          *           *

PRESENT DAY

   Spencer felt as if all the air was being sucked out of the room as he walked further into the restaurant, keeping his eyes focused and his breathing calm. He sat down at the table, blinking slowly as he set a red rose down. Low music filled his ears as he looked around, fidgeting awkwardly before a brunette woman approached the table.

   "Spencer?" she smiled.

   "Cat?" Spencer said with a grin.

   "Hi!"

   "Hi--Hello."

   He stood up as she went in for a hug, Spencer backing off awkwardly as she widened her eyes in surprise and confusion. 

   "Oh, sorry," Spencer stuttered. "I kind of have a germ thing. I'm kind of weird with hugs."

   "Sorry," Cat smiled as Spencer continued to stare at her. "Can I sit down?"

   "Oh! Yes! Of course!"

   She sat down, shimmying off her coat, "First time doing this?"

   "Y--yeah."

   "I still get nervous too! Really, it wasn't until an hour ago that I was like 'wait we've been trading emails back and forth, but I still have no idea what this guy looks like. Wait, he's going to bring a red rose, so we need to go to a nicer place.' That's why I switched the restaurant last minute. Then I needed to change and put something nice on for this place because I was totally underdressed and my whole wardrobe makes me look like a Kardashian." 

   Spencer furrowed his eyebrows in confusion as Cat's smile faded. The awkwardness between them was almost palpable. 

   "You don't know who that is, do you?" Cat questioned. 

   "Robert Kardashian, he got O.J. Simpson off," Spencer nodded. "You--you don't look like his daughters."

   "Yeah--no--I was making a joke. A bad one."

   "No, it was good! It was a good joke!"

   "No, it wasn't."

   "It was funny."

   Cat grinned uncomfortably as Spencer chuckled to himself. Silence fell between them before Cat looked back up at him.

   "Can we start over?" she asked. "Hi, I'm Cat."

   "Hi--Hi, I'm Spencer," the tall doctor stuttered nervously.

   "It really is nice to meet you. In-person, finally."