you're gonna miss this

"You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast"

*            *            *

   Spencer pretended to be asleep as he lay in the long, dark green grass. He pretended to snore loudly, making sure to be as dramatic as possible. Emma and Ophelia giggled, hovering over him as they bit their tongues trying not to wake Spencer. 

   As quietly as possible, Emma held out the dandelion in her hand and began to tickle Spencer underneath his nose. His eyes and nose twitched as he opened his eyes and pretended to sneeze. He sat up, looking around, as the girls laughed and hid behind Bella.

   "Who did that?" Spencer asked, scratching his head.

   "Did what?" Bella asked, holding back a laugh.

   Spencer tapped his chin, "That's so strange! I could have sworn that I felt something tickle me!"

   "Hmmm, I think you imagined it."

   "It seems so. I guess I'll just go back to sleep."

   Spencer laid back down and closed his eyes. He began to snore loudly again as he folded his hands on his stomach. Bella grinned and watched as the girls snuck back out and approached Spencer once again. Their giggles grew louder as Emma reached out and brought the dandelion closer to Spencer's nose.

   In a fraction of a second, Spencer opened his eyes and sat up. Emma and Ophelia laughed and let out amused screams as Spencer grabbed them and hugged them tightly against his chest. He kissed their cheeks as they laughed and squirmed their way out of his arms.

   "Dada!" Emma laughed. "You tricked us!"

   "I heard you sneaking up!" Spencer smiled, reaching over and tickling Emma's stomach. "I can't believe it was you two goofballs that woke me up!"

   "With a flower!"

   "Actually, a dandelion is a weed."

   Emma looked down at the dandelion with a confused expression. Bella laughed at Spencer, shaking her head as she cradled Ivy in her arms. Reaching over, Ophelia grabbed the Barbie dolls that sat on top of the picnic basket.

   "Sissy," Ophelia smiled, holding up the dolls.

   "Come on!" Emma exclaimed, taking a doll. "Let's explore!"

   The two girls toddled off towards a patch of growing flowers. Spencer smiled and kept an eye on them as they looked around the hill.

   "Don't wander too far!" Spencer called out. "Stay close!"

   "Aren't they the sweetest things?" Bella smiled, watching her two young daughters play. "I love taking them here."

   "Me too," Spencer agreed. "We came to this hill when we were dating and now we're here with our three children. In a way, this simple hill is a part of us."