penitentiary

"When there's no need to bleed"

*                  *                 *

   Penelope woke up with a quiet yawn, covering her mouth as she opened up her dry eyes. She flinched due to the uncomfortable feeling, rubbing her eyes as she slowly sat up. Her head pounded, signaling that she needed a cup of coffee. As she yawned once again, she glanced over at the nearby dresser and let out a groan.

   "We really need to stop doing this," she whispered, feeling disgusted with herself. 

   "Do we?" James asked, sitting up next to her. He grinned and kissed her bare shoulder, earning a bashful grin from her. 

   "I'm the worst," Penelope sighed with a shake of her head.

   "You're far from being the worst. Do you want some coffee?"

   "I want some self-control."

   James laughed as Penelope turned around to look at him. His dark hair was messy and a crooked smile was fixed on his face. He reached out and tucked a strand of blonde hair behind Penelope's ear.

   "We're not a couple," Penelope reminded James.

   "Right," James said. "We just sleep together, I got it."

   "And you're ok with that?"

   "As long as I get to wake up with you in my bed, yeah I'm ok with it."

   Penelope scoffed and brushed James' hand away. She threw the blankets off of her body, grabbing her discarded clothes off of the floor and putting them back on. 

   "I don't care how charming you are, we can't date," Penelope said, buttoning up her shirt. 

   "We can't?" James asked. "Or is it that you just don't want to?"

   "We can't. It's unprofessional." 

   "Reid and Snow are married, co-worker relationships aren't frowned upon. How are we any different?"

   "Because I'm older and you were once my intern, people will look at us funny."

   "Don't act like people don't already know that we sleep together."

   Penelope whipped her head around to look at James. She narrowed her eyes, picking her glasses off of the nightstand and putting them on. She adjusted her glasses, her view of James now crisp and clear.

   "We're good at hiding it," Penelope mumbled.

   "We work with profilers, my dear," James said, grabbing his glasses off of the nightstand. "Trust me, they know."

   "First of all, I am not your dear, and second...no they don't!"

   James shrugged, "Ok."

   Penelope shook her head, ignoring James as she shimmied back into her fleece cardigan and bright pink skirt. She peered around the room before finally finding her heels, grabbing them, and shoving them back on.