halloween

"There's a last time for everything"

*                 *                 *

   With a jovial smile, Spencer hung up fake cobwebs near the front door before placing pumpkins on the front steps. Stickers of skeletons, ghosts, and vampires decorated the windows meanwhile fake blood oozed from the walls. 

   Spencer carried Emma on his hip, twirling her around as he hung fake bats from the ceiling. "The Monster Mash" blared from a radio and the smell of pumpkin spice drifted throughout the house.

   Bella walked downstairs slowly, dragging her slippers down each step while tying her robe around her waist tighter. Looking over, Spencer smiled widely at her as he danced with Emma on his hip.

   "Mama is up, Em!" Spencer exclaimed. 

   "Mama!" Emma exclaimed, smiling and reaching her arms out.

   Bella grinned and took Emma from Spencer's arms, "Hi, baby."

   Spencer turned down the music, reaching over and tickling Ophelia in her swing as she giggled. Bella kissed Emma on the forehead and set her down, the toddler running over to play with the dolls she left on the floor. 

   "You really love Halloween, huh?" Bella smirked.

   "Mhm," Spencer nodded, grabbing Bella by the waist and pulling her in for a kiss.

   He kissed her numerous times before kissing her neck, wrapping his arms around her tighter as he hugged her. Bella smiled and wrapped her arms around his neck.

   "You're warm," Spencer said, pulling away from the kiss.

   "Yeah, about that," Bella whispered. "I have a fever."

   "What? How high?"

   "100.1."

   "Aww, Bells. Are you feeling ok?"

   "I'm just tired, that's all."

   Spencer cupped her cheek, "You need to rest, honey. Halloween is in 5 days! Not only that, Emma's birthday is in 5 days!"

   "I'll be better by then."

   "Is mama sick?" Emma asked, holding her doll in her small hands.

   "No, baby, mama is just tired," Bella answered. "Are you excited to turn 3?"

   Emma smiled widely, "Yeah!"

   "You're such a big girl now, baby! We're going to eat so much cake and candy, it's going to be so fun! Your Aunt Rory and Uncle Luke and cousin Julian are going to be here!"

   "Uncle Luke!" Emma exclaimed, clapping her hands together.

   Spencer chuckled, scooping her up and planting a kiss on her cheek, "Are you hungry? Do you want breakfast?"