what once was

"I think I know what's wrong"

*             *             *

   Spencer sighed and leaned up against the bedroom door, "Bella, please just--just talk to me."

   "There's nothing to talk about, Spencer," Bella said through the door. 

   "You're angry, I always know when you're angry."

   "Are you a profiler or something?"

   "Bella, please," Spencer begged, closing his eyes and pressing his forehead against the door. "Please open the door."

   Spencer backed up as the door whipped open, revealing a scowling Bella with her hair tied back. With a frown, Spencer reached out to touch Bella, only to have her brush off his advance and walk past him.

   "Bella, please don't do this," Spencer said, chasing after her. 

   "You embarrassed me, Spencer," she said. "In fact, you embarrassed yourself."

   "I was just expressing how I felt!"

   "That was inappropriate, Spencer. We were having a nice dinner and you just had to bring up something SO out there--I can't."

   Spencer furrowed his eyebrows, "But it's true, Bella. I don't like the idea of another man coming over and doting on my daughter and wife."

   "Why are you so angry about this? He came over and helped me, Spencer. I was alone, remember?"

   "I know, it's just strange to me. I just worry that he tried to...I don't know. Make a move or something?"

   Bella swallowed roughly, "No."

   "He just has strange energy."

   "He got you out of prison, you should be thanking him."

   Spencer fell silent as Bella pressed her lips together, her face feeling hot. She shook her head and crossed her arms.

   "And the whole thing with Luke and Rory?" she said. "Really, Spencer? Really?"

   "I'm sorry!" he exclaimed. "I didn't know it was such a big secret!"

   "Aurora wants to kill you."

   Spencer sighed, "I can't say I blame her."

   Bella bit the inside of her cheek and turned on her heel, making her way downstairs and into the kitchen. Spencer followed behind her like a lost dog. He reached out and softly grabbed her elbow, turning her back around.

   "I'm sorry," he breathed. "It's just...ever since getting back from prison I feel so angry all the time. I feel like the whole world is against me and I can never shake the feeling. I'm sorry, Bella."