red

"Losing him was blue like I'd never known"

*           *           *

3 MONTHS LATER

   Derek walked down the hallway, whistling a sweet song as his eyes danced with happiness. He felt ok, he felt like himself. Nothing hurt anymore. He felt like everything was falling into place. Everything was working out the way it was supposed to. 

   He placed his hand on the door of the conference room, pushing it open to be met with bright confetti being thrown in his face. He smiled and blinked as he heard the team laugh and clap, greeting him with smiles and hugs. 

   The room was warm and smelled like freshly baked cupcakes, Derek instantly knowing that Bella must've made them. Rossi grinned and handed him an ice-cold beer, slapping him on the back. 

   "Thanks, man," Derek smiled as Penelope threw her arms around him.

   "Chocolate thunder!" she exclaimed, hugging him tightly. "I never wanted this day to come."

   "I know, baby girl, I know."

   "What're we going to do without you?"

   "I'm going to be visiting all the time, trust me. But, I need to raise this little one."

   Derek stretched his hand out, caressing Savannah's large stomach as she smiled. She rubbed her hand over the large bump before grabbing onto Derek's hand, holding it tightly.

   "I bet one day this little one is actually going to end up working here," Savannah laughed. 

   "Awwww, you think so?" Tara smiled, sipping on some champagne. 

   "I can see it happening," Bella said, rubbing Savannah on the back and holding a glass of champagne in the opposite hand. 

   "Then we better believe it," Derek said, the room chuckling. 

   Spencer grinned to himself and quietly sipped the coffee he was drinking, hanging back from the group and watching them with soft eyes. His heart felt heavy and it ached. It was the worst feeling, when your entire body is so worn down from grief. It was even worse when you were grieving someone that was very much alive. 

   "You ok?" Hotch asked, his voice low as he looked over at Spencer.

   "Hm?" Spencer questioned, being pulled out of his thoughts. "Oh, yeah! I'm fine." 

   Hotch sighed, studying Spencer's face, "I know it's hard."

   "I...I'm fine."

   "I'm always here if you ever want to talk," Hotch said, patting Spencer on the back before JJ passed him a glass of champagne. 

   "Spence, do you want any champagne?" JJ asked, reaching for another glass.

   "Oh, no thank you," Spencer said with a slight shake of his head.