mind over matter

"Will you stand by me"

*                 *                 *

   Gripping her bag tightly, Bella inhaled sharply as she stepped into the hospital. Her entire body trembled as the smell of strong hand sanitizer filled her nostrils. It didn't matter how old Bella got, hospitals would always be one of her least favorite places. It harbored nothing by anxiety and fear.

   Spencer rested his hand on the small of her back, glancing down at her as she chewed on her bottom lip. She walked forward, her steps small as she made her way to the front desk. Quietly, she asked for the location of her grandmother's room before being pointed in the direction.

   "Are you alright?" Spencer asked as they walked down the hallway.

   "I'm fine," Bella lied.

   "We can take a break if you want, Bells. Just to catch your breath."

   "No, I can't waste any time."

   Bella took Spencer by the hand and continued to walk down the bright hallway. Her grip on her bag tightened as she got closer to her grandmother's room, seeing all of her sisters already standing outside. Aurora leaned up against the wall and sniffled before looking up and noticing Bella.

   "Bella," Aurora sniffled, breaking off from the group and pulling her sister into a tight hug.

   "Hey," Bella said, lowly. "I'm sorry I'm late, we got here as fast as we could."

   "You're ok."

   Bella then pulled Charlotte and Phoebe into a hug, each woman wiping their tears away as they stole glances into their grandmother's room. Aurora pulled Spencer into a hug, crying onto his shoulder as he attempted to soothe her. 

   "What happened?" Bella asked, her throat feeling dry.

   "She stopped eating," Phoebe said. "She just started to get weaker and weaker. She-she's dying."

   "How did this happen so suddenly?"

   "She's old, Bella. She's 82 years old...it was bound to happen."

   With a sniffle, Bella turned and looked into her grandmother's room. The older woman sat up in bed with her eyes closed, her chest rising and falling slowly. Bella turned and looked back at Spencer, taking his hand.

   "She's been waiting to see you," Charlotte said, urging Bella to go into the room.

   Bella swallowed roughly and continued to grip Spencer's hand as she made her way into her grandmother's room. The curtains were open, allowing for some sunlight to stream in through the dirty window. Bella let go of Spencer's hand and sat down at the end of her grandmother's bed, gently grabbing her hand.

   "Grandma?" Bella whispered.

   Her grandmother jumped slightly and opened her eyes. She blinked slowly before a light smile spread across her face, her eyes lighting up as Bella's face became clearer to her.