Chapter 375-376

Chapter 375 The Affair at the Wedding Banquet

“My Lady, you are an imperial concubine and you manage matters within the palace. I heard that the Emperor values the child in your belly a lot. If you tire yourself out minding so many things, you might incur the Emperor’s wrath.” Mo Xuetong seemed not to notice the fury on Consort Yu’s face. There was a calm and leisure smile on the corners of her lips. Coupled with her lively eyes, she seemed concerned for Consort Yu. However, there was a hint of contempt in her eyes that could not be hidden.

“You dare!” Consort Yu yelled angrily and covered her stomach subconsciously.

“I am King Xuan’s consort. The child in your stomach has nothing to do with me. If you are not careful and push the blame on me, that’s not right either. No matter how great you are, you are just a concubine of the Emperor. I heard that King Xuan had once kicked a favored imperial consort from the prayer platform.” Mo Xuetong smiled. Her gaze landed on Consort Yu’s face. They shone brightly.

This incident happened before Mo Xuetong entered the capital. It was said that Feng Yuran had only just entered the capital then as well. Emperor Zongwen brought a few of his sons and his favored consorts to the prayer platform to worship their ancestors. A favored consort mocked Feng Yuran and looked down on Feng Yuran’s birth mother. She spoke down to him with contempt!

Feng Yuran had not spared her at all and kicked the favored concubine off the worship platform. It was said that the favored concubine’s skirt hooked onto the railings and managed to stop there. She was saved but was never doted on again or consoled by Emperor Zongwen. Instead, she was thrown into the Cold Palace because of an insignificant matter and died there after a few months.

Yet, nothing happened to Feng Yuran. He was just locked up at home for two days and continued to stroll around arrogantly and licentiously in the capital.

The woman was Emperor Zongwen’s favored concubine. If she had not lost favor, Consort Yu would not have received any attention! When Consort Yu thought of that, she shuddered. There was a hint of hesitation in her eyes.

“Your Highness, if you wish to use the child in your belly to hurt me, that’s fine too. The Emperor is old and whether or not he can have any more children in the future is a problem. It will not be easy for you to have another child if you lose this one. Without a child, life in the palace will be…” Mo Xuetong smiled faintly.

If a consort in the palace did not have any children, they would be sent to a desolate palace at the back. They did not have much hope of leaving again.

“Don’t pretend to be kind. You don’t need to care about my business. You just have to care about yourself.” Consort Yu retorted sarcastically.

The lead palace maid had returned while they were speaking. She placed the hot water on the ground and turned around to retrieve a bottle of medicinal ointment. She poured some of the ointment into the water. Mo Xuetong saw that she did not have much business there anymore, so she smiled and turned to leave.

“King Xuan’s Consort, can you help me to hold up the lady?” The lead palace maid suddenly said as she looked up at Mo Xuetong.

Mo Xuetong glanced at Consort Yu who was lying on the bed and then at the pleading look on the lead palace maid’s face. Her face suddenly grew stern and she said coldly, “There will definitely be servants from the palace to wait on Consort Yu since she is ill. Does it definitely have to be me!”

There were so many palace maids outside who were not doing anything but the palace maid insisted on the noble King Xuan’s consort helping Consort Yu. Did the palace maid think that she did not have a temper?!