Chapter 469-470

Chapter 469 Pay Respects to the Emperor, Incisive Words

It was the first time for Liu Xi to see King Xuan was concerned about a person. Worried about the lady’s poor health condition, King Xuan had confided in advance, for fear that his lady would feel a little wronged. In Liu Xi’s opinion, since His Highness, King Xuan, was His Majesty’s favorite prince, and the lady was His Highness’ treasured person. This weight was heavy enough to make Liu Xi, the lead eunuch who had been living in the palace for several decades, fawn on Mo Xuetong.

It turned out that Feng Yuran had ordered it. Looking at Liu Xi’s teasing eyes, Mo Xuetong blushed and lowered her head slightly, and felt warm in her heart. She knew that most of her things were in the palm of his hand. Although she did not ask Mo Feng to tell him anything, she believed that Feng Yuran had known it, otherwise, he would not have sent people to ask her to enter the palace as soon as she went down the Puguang Temple.

Then he had arranged everything well in the palace and did not let her feel a little wronged. Mo Xuetong’s heart felt as sweet as being soaked in the mulse. And now as her thoughts were seen through, her face turned red with abashment, and she could not speak a word.

Seeing Mo Xuetong feel ashamed, Liu Xi shifted the topic subtly and said to her with a smile, “His Majesty has approved the memorials for the whole afternoon and felt tired. Your Highness, could you please finish your words more quickly, as I will serve His Majesty to have some dessert and take a break.” Having been living in the palace for many years, Liu Xi was absolutely a clever person, since he was able to promote from a rock-bottom eunuch to a lead eunuch in charge.

Mo Xuetong said softly, “Yes, I know. Thank you for the trouble you’ve taken on my behalf, Eunuch Liu.” The blush on her face receded slightly. Her eyes became calm, and the abashment had faded away completely, as if she changed into another one in a blink. Liu Xi could not help praising her inwardly as he saw her change.

The lady did have the dignity and majesty that a king’s consort should have. Compared with Consort Xuan, Consort Chu was left far behind, as she knew nothing but make a scene shrewishly, and all the things she had conducted just brought shame to the royal family. She did not even accept that the king’s second consort conceived a baby, and did harm to the royal heir, which did violate the taboo in the royal family. On the other hand, Consort Xuan behaved decorously with the best upbringing and courtesy.

This was what Liu Xi thought, and so did Emperor Zongwen.

Sitting behind the high desk, Emperor Zongwen looked at Mo Xuetong who was kneeling on the ground respectfully, and he brightened into a satisfied smile. He was rather content with the daughter-in-law. Every time he thought that his son’s life could be saved thanks to the marriage with her, and Mo Xuetong was not as defiant as before, Emperor Zongwen thought it was right to allow Mo Xuetong to marry Feng Yuran.

The only thing that Emperor Zongwen felt dissatisfied was that Mo Xuetong was too young and still observing mourning for her mother, so she was unable to procreate for the royal family at the current stage. Emperor Zongwen thought Xuan’er would feel aggrieved at it. Now, Xuan’er had recovered and could marry a second consort admittedly. At least, the second consort could help Mo Xuetong manage the domestic problems lest Mo Xuetong should be too young to deal with a number of women in Xuan’er’s back garden.

Emperor Zongwen made up his mind and became gentler with Mo Xuetong. “Get up and take a seat.”

“Thank you, Father Emperor.” Mo Xuetong copied the way that Feng Yuran called the Emperor, so it sounded rather close, which made Emperor Zongwen rather satisfied. He nodded his head, signaling that she did not have to be punctilious.