Chapter 545-546

Chapter 545 Who Killed Ming Xia?

“This… this, this is too coincidental.” Consort Zhao seemed as if she could not defend Mo Xuetong any longer. Her hesitant expression made it seem as if she were trying to defend Mo Xuetong, but there was no way for her to do it. Her action made people suspect if Mo Xuetong had really done such an evil thing.

The dead palace maid was just one part of the scheme. Whether it was Ling Rui’er or Mo Xuetong being poured watermelon juice, she would always be involved. It was a part of death. In the law of the Great Qin, if someone really dared to kill the people beside the Empress, they would be punished to death.

“Consort Xuan, I am sorry.” The maid who had been remaining silent seemed to have made up her mind. She kowtowed to Mo Xuetong and bit something.

Mo Xuetong knew that things were going pear-shaped when she saw the maidservant bite something. Feng Yuran moved even faster and removed the maidservant’s chin. However, it was still too late. Black blood flowed out from the maidservant’s mouth and she fell to the ground. She was poisoned to death.

The interrogating eunuch’s expression changed. He reached out to open the maidservant’s mouth and looked inside before replying, “There’s poison in her mouth.”

Feng Yuran’s red lips twitched slightly and he said indifferently, “What a pity!” He seemed to speak to the maidservant, but his eyes swept across the Empress and the consorts behind her, and paused especially on Consort Zhao’s face.

Consort Zhao didn’t relax until she saw the maidservant commit suicide. At this time, she was happy in her heart, but there was some pity in her eyes. She sighed softly and said, “It’s really a pity. Such a loyal servant died for her master.”

Now that the maidservant had died, Mo Xuetong would be the one to blame no matter what she said. There was no way for Mo Xuetong to rise again. Similarly, the maidservant’s death caused them to have no evidence. Mo Xuetong could also be the one to blame for what happened at Lian’s Manor—Mo Xuetong had deliberately ruined Lian An’s reputation and done that on purpose, so Lian An was also the victim.

Of course, her purpose was to help Feng Yuran draw the officials over to his side. Lian An did not want to be his side, which was why he had gotten into this trouble.

Lian An would regain his position, and Mo Xuetong would die without a proper burial; Consort Xuan would be reelected, and the He family still had unmarried girls. There would still be time… in this case, Consort Zhao, Lian An and the He family hidden behind the scenes would be the ones who would benefit the most. It was a chain of connections that was impossible to guard against!

Feng Yuran’s cold gaze landed on Consort Zhao’s face, with an unconcealed disgust in his eyes. His usually lazy voice seemed to be filled with a layer of ice. “Consort Zhao, why are you feeling pity for her? Is it because the maid’s indenture is in your hands?”

Feng Yuran’s words caused everyone present to change their faces.

“Your Highness, isn’t she a maid of your manor?” the interrogating eunuch couldn’t help asking.

Feng Yuran smiled wickedly and his eyes were filled with contempt and mockery. “Tong’er only said that this person was in our manor. She used to be in Lian’s Manor. I heard that Minister Lian’s back courtyard was in chaos and that Madam Lian wanted to sell the two maidservants into a brothel. The two maidservants fled to my manor overnight and hoped that Tong’er would take them in. However, their selling indentures were not in our manor and these maidservants could not be considered servants of our manor either. Could it be that such a person is Tong’er’s trusted subordinate? Would Tong’er ask her to do such a secret thing? Once the maidservant’s previous master took out their selling indentures, it would be easy to ask her to frame Tong’er.”