Chapter 543-544

Chapter 543 The Palace Maid Who Died Gratuitously

Consort Zhao seemed to be frightened by her cold gaze and stopped talking. The group of people walked towards the other end of the imperial garden.

Mo Xuetong did not say anything and followed behind the madams, ladies, and young masters.

All the people followed the palace maid to pass by several rockeries and came to a remote place. By the lake of the rockery lay a female corpse. There was windy, so it was cool and refreshing at first. But now, because of this female corpse, the whole place was filled with gusts of cold wind and made people feel scared for no reason.

A few daring eunuchs went over, pulled the female corpse up, and laid it flat on the ground. Then they heard the palace maid who found the corpse scream with her hand covering her mouth. Suddenly, she pounced on the corpse and shouted in panic, “Your Majesty, it’s Fei Huan.”

“Fei Huan?” The Empress froze for a moment as if she didn’t remember this maid. She frowned.

Nanny Lin, who was beside her, took a few steps forward. She shivered in fear when she saw the female corpse’s face. She quickly stepped back to the Empress and said with a pale face, “Your Majesty, she is a third-class palace maid in the Tianfeng Palace, named Fei Huan. You ordered her to serve the madams and ladies in the imperial garden just now.”

The Empress was stunned as if she didn’t expect it to be a person from her Tianfeng Palace. Her face darkened. With a frown, she asked, “Who was the last one to see this palace maid?”

Whether as the Empress or the master of the Tianfeng Palace, she had to deal with this matter.

“Your Majesty, I, I came out with Fei Huan just now. Later, I saw a little maidservant waving to her, and then Fei Huan told me that she had something to do and asked me to go first. I thought that Fei Huan might have met someone she knew, so I left without paying attention to her. I didn’t expect that just after a while, Fei Huan, she, she…”

The palace maid, who had just pounced on Fei Huan, cried, “Your Majesty, you must exercise justice for Fei Huan. Fei Huan is loyal to you, so you can’t let the murderer go unpunished.”

“Go over and take a look.” The Empress nodded at a eunuch standing by her side. He was the highly skilled eunuch who guarded the Empress in the inner palace and was also in charge of the interrogation in the inner palace. He reached out two fingers to the maid’s neck. Then, he stood up and shook his head, gesturing that the maid was no longer breathing. Then, he squatted by the corpse and examined it for a while before he reported to the Empress.

“Your Majesty, the maid was strangled by someone. There is a pinch mark on her neck and the mark was thick, which shows that the murderer is a man. From the look of it, the man was fast and accurate. He is a martial arts practitioner. If he hadn’t practiced for more than 10 years, he wouldn’t have choked her to death like this.”

The interrogating eunuch answered in a sharp and accurate way.

The palace maid cried and asked, “But, who wanted to hurt Fei Huan? Fei Huan was kind to others and had never argued with others.”

“There’s something over there. Look!” Suddenly, someone pointed at the place where the corpse had just been picked up and screamed.

Everyone looked back and found that there was a piece of cloth in the crack of the rockery. The eunuch went over and quickly took out the cloth wrapped in it. Then the crowd found that it was a handkerchief. Since most of the cloth was in it, they just took it as a piece of cloth dropped from the murderer’s clothes.