Chapter 395-396

Chapter 395 The Suspicious History of Consort Zhao

“Who is Consort Zhao?” Lying in the arms of Feng Yuran, Mo Xuetong asked. It was rare that both of them were free in the afternoon and thus they took a nap together. Mo Xuetong knew that Emperor Zongwen sent a huge portion of official documents secretly to King Xuan’s manor for Feng Yuran to read privately. He was indeed busy!

She wondered how much disbelief those court officials would be when they knew all their documents were signed and read by Feng Yuran, especially since they had disdain for the flamboyant and incompetent demeanor he put up.

“Consort Zhao?” The gentle smile of Feng Yuran turned cold as his pupils turned dark upon hearing this name. He snickered, “Tong’er won’t know that Consort Zhao is my mother’s sister.”

He was obviously a little angry and cold!

“The birth daughter of He family?” Mo Xuetong pulled his hand over and rubbed it on her face, asking him with a little surprise.

Consort Xian was the adopted daughter of He family and not a real family member. This woman must then be the biological daughter! No wonder He Yuxiu mentioned Consort Zhao time after time, smiling in the process. She did want something from her.

“Yes, as they were afraid that their wealth would run out, He family sent their biological daughter together with their adopted daughter, allowing the two to look after each other in the palace.” Feng Yuran explained coldly, his chilly smile hanging on his face as he blinked. He lowered his eyes, hiding the emotions in them.

She knew he must be sad as he thought of Consort Xian.

Mo Xuetong hugged his muscular waist and buried her head in his chest, rubbing it on. She comforted him gently, “Consort Zhao is merely a replacement of Mother, not the real one. See, she barely left the palace for all these years. In the mind of the Emperor, she was merely the woman like Mother.”

How could a favored concubine not leave the palace at all, especially when she belonged to the He family? With the temperament of the He family, it was hard for Mo Xuetong to imagine Consort Zhao to be a cold individual. If she was truly doted and chose not to show off, it would be akin to walking at night in a gown, something extremely depressing.

Since Consort Zhao never left Mingyue Palace for the past 10 years, she must be imprisoned by Emperor Zongwen.

How could a favored concubine be treated like this!

Of course, from another aspect, the rumor about her being favored must be largely untrue!

Thinking a little deeper, she realized that Consort Zhao caught the attention of the Emperor more than ten years ago, around the time when Consort Xian died. The two were sisters and the Emperor visited her once or twice per month, not much… Regardless, Consort Zhao seemed like a replacement of Consort Xian.

“She is already dead! It’s too late to think about it now!” Feng Yuran complained out of frustration and closed his eyes. He did not let go of his hand and grabbed Mo Xuetong tightly, his face stone cold.

He would never forget the death of his mother. During that warm morning, he saw his mother turn cold in front of him, without any warmth emitting from that small body and only the smile of her lingering in his ears. However, the memories of her smile would not be able to warm her body.

What was that man doing? He was flirting with other women, and didn’t even see his mother for one last time!

It was amusing to him. Before, he thought that he was the happiest kid in the world, with Father and Mother who loved him dearly and everything he wanted. However, everything turned cold when that bowl of soup was sent in. The warmth was lost from his world together with the cold body of his mother.