Chapter 485-486

Chapter 485 Our King’s Manor Doesn’t Need a Second Consort

Consort Zhao’s charming smile slid off her face and her expression froze slightly. She knew long ago that Feng Yuran refused to listen to her. That was why she wanted to get rid of Mo Xuetong and replace her with an obedient consort. That consort would obey her and work for her. Then, she would be able to control Feng Yuran. However, she did not expect Feng Yuran to embarrass her so in front of so many palace maids and eunuchs. She was furious.

However, she immediately realized that Emperor Zongwen was looking at her. She smiled at Emperor Zongwen and curtsied, saying, “Your Majesty, I heard that King Xuan was released, so I rushed over here in a hurry. I didn’t pick a suitable outfit and have offended Her Majesty. I will go to Tianfeng Palace to ask for Her Majesty’s pardon.”

She was totally acting like a dutiful consort.

Emperor Zongwen’s expression softened when he saw that Consort Zhao knew that she was in the wrong. He nodded with satisfaction.

Mo Xuetong did not intend to let Consort Zhao off though. She looked at the pleased smirk on Consort Zhao’s lips and turned around. She looked at Consort Zhao’s clothes innocently and said to Feng Yuran carefully, “Why does Consort Zhao have robes like this? Which servant made it for her? She doesn’t know the palace rules at all. Is she trying to get Consort Zhao into trouble?”

Consort Zhao was working with the He family and had once plotted against Mo Xuetong. As such, Mo Xuetong felt that there was no need to play nice. She knew that Consort Zhao would not be able to do anything today. As such, she would just strike directly lest Consort Zhao should try to do something to her again in the future, and others would still think that Consort Zhao was kind and gracious.

Mo Xuetong had spoken softly as if she were only conversing with Feng Yuran. However, the palace was very quiet and others immediately heard her. Emperor Zongwen was an intelligent man. He frowned when he heard what Mo Xuetong said and then looked at Consort Zhao thoughtfully. Even though he did not say anything, his expression was not as soft as before.

All the clothes in the palace were bespoke. No matter what, Consort Zhao would not be able to get a dress that was this bright red color. Only the Empress and the Empress Dowager could wear this color in the entire palace!

Even though Consort Zhao was still smiling, her eyes were cold and vicious. She gritted her teeth and swallowed the anger she felt. She looked at Mo Xuetong’s gentle and adorable smiling face and then, smiled warmly once more. She did not dare to say anything to Mo Xuetong directly in this place and could only curse Mo Xuetong secretly in her heart.

She pretended not to understand what Mo Xuetong meant and said, “Your Majesty, I will definitely find out who made these clothes for me. I will see if there is anyone else who wants to do harm to me. They know that I do not know the palace rules and tried to get me into trouble.”

Consort Zhao pushed the responsibility to someone else.

Mo Xuetong could not help but be in awe. This Consort Zhao was really unique. She managed to deflect the blame in just a few words.

However, was the Emperor someone who could be so easily tricked?! After all, there was a saying that a clever man might be fooled by his own cleverness!

Consort Zhao behaved as if everything had nothing to do with her and had managed to make everything sound good. In fact, that was the biggest loophole.

How could Consort Zhao be so gracious and calm given her status? She did not even look shocked. This proved that she was actually a scheming person who had other plots. She was the mistress of Mingyue Palace. Who would dare to pick this color for her if she had not requested it?