Chapter 397-398

Chapter 397 The Long Hidden Identity of Princess Royal

“How… how did King Jin obtain that edict?” After a long while, Mo Xuetong finally found her voice, with her shocked eyes turning bright once more. She lifted up his head difficultly to ask Feng Yuran, a bitter smile passing across her lips. The news was too incredulous.

Such an incredible edict placed King Jin in a position of definite victory. However, the late Emperor still won the throne. What exactly happened that made King Jin, who was so close to the throne, turn into a rebel!

Feng Yuran leaned back and pulled Mo Xuetong to his chest, patting her gently on the back of her hand. The gold and silver collar shone brightly on his purple coat, complementing his dazzling and emotionless gaze. He was as beautiful and composed as a painting.

“King Jin was incredibly powerful back then, with one of his spies next to the Emperor. He stole the empty edict out of the palace. However, the late Emperor caught wind of that and acted first, destroying King Jin manor. King Jin was caught off guard and could not retaliate. After searching King Jin manor, the edict and a personal seal of King Jin could not be found. The counsel of King Jin said that these two objects were hidden within a jade ornament, taken away by Consort Jin or Princess Shuanglan.”

“It had disappeared since then?” Mo Xuetong gasped heavily twice, asking with bewildered eyes.

King Jin was extremely bold to steal such an edict!

“No, that’s why they are searching for it.”

Mo Xuetong was silent as a chill ran up her heart. She felt her body turn cold at the thought of the empty edict with the late Emperor’s seal. It was an effective document that would be an official edict about succession if it landed into the hands of King Yan, King Chu or King Ning, where they would fill in their own name. No wonder the four great manors were all involved despite their influence.

With such a decree, anyone could become the Emperor officially. That surely enticed everyone!

“Your father supports you?” The bright and watery eyes shone of brilliance.

From the performance of Emperor Zongwen and the hidden power of Feng Yuran, it could be seen that Emperor Zongwen was most satisfied with this seemingly illegitimate King Xuan. Since Feng Yuran fooled others with his provocative ways, he allowed his soon to think that Feng Yuran had the least chance, making them fight amongst themselves.

The most popular candidates, Feng Yulei and Feng Yuxuan, were all covers for Feng Yuran. This Eighth Prince who was ignored by court officials was the one that Emperor Zongwen adored.

That was the method of Emperor Zongwen. Obviously, he succeeded!

No one treated Feng Yuran as a real opponent; they thought him a man to deal with casually. If they did become the emperor, every single one would love to have such a useless and arrogant brother, so as to gain a good reputation for themselves.

Mo Xuetong exclaimed at the cruelty Emperor Zongwen had to his other sons, and the love he had for Feng Yuran! She felt sadness and coldness as she realized that the family relationship in an imperial household was different from that of ordinary people.

“Only for his miserable guilt.” Feng Yuran pulled Mo Xuetong’s hand and explained coldly. He smiled coldly as his eyes shone devilishly under his long eyelashes, showing disdain beneath.

“Is Mother…” Mo Xuetong thought about it before biting her lips. However, she could not endure it and still asked carefully. That was the only reason why Feng Yuran had no gratitude for Emperor Zongwen despite his love for him.