Chapter 553-554

Chapter 553 Consort Zhao Defended Herself in the Qianqing Palace

After all this, the Qixi Festival banquet could not go on. The eunuchs checked the number of people brought into the palace by madams and ladies one by one, and the number of people for the time being. But in the end, they found nothing. When they entered the palace, there was a definite number of people of each family, and only the mandated women brought a few maids close to them.

Those maids had been serving their master all the time, and none of them left.

The guards of each manor scattered at the gate of the palace. There were guards in the palace, so none of the outside guards was allowed to enter the palace.

Apart from these two kinds of possibilities, Ma Er might be brought in under the order of the master in the palace, but there was no result. This ruffian named Ma Er seemed to have suddenly appeared in the palace and rushed into the banquet. The eunuch, who was the last one to saw him, also said that he saw the man in the aisle. At that time, the man said he wanted to see a young lady.

What happened today was rather mysterious. First, it was a maid appearing in the palace when no one brought her in. Then, it was a man who should not have appeared here showed up in the palace. The two of them had died in the end. Besides, nothing was found out. It made one feel as if someone had done something in the dark.

“It seems that this matter has to be investigated. Otherwise, no one would be convinced and His Majesty would not understand.”

The eunuch’s words gave the Empress a new idea, so she asked maids to check the young ladies again, but still, they did not find any clues.

So this matter came to a standstill. Before the Empress could find out the truth, the Emperor sent someone over to end the banquet. Then everyone left, and the Empress was called to the Qianqing Palace. The Emperor didn’t even allow her to enter the palace and asked her to kneel outside the door. The imperial servants of the Empress’ palace could only kneel with her.

As the situation had escalated to this point, everyone felt a sense of danger. No one knew if they were the next person to die. Normally Yan Miao was the Empress’ most favored lead palace maid, but before she told about the truth, she had died with Ma Er. Thus, no one dared to speak more. Even though a large group of people had knelt outside the Qianqing Palace, it was completely silent.

In the Qianqing Palace, the bronze cauldron, which was carved into the shape of a vengeful lion whose head was held high, exuded the aura of a sovereign ruling over the world. There was a bead inside its big mouth, making it seem sinister and domineering.

The Emperor sat on a rosewood chair, his face gloomy. Although he looked calm, Consort Zhao, who was familiar with his personality, knew that he was in a rage at this time.

Since she knelt in the study, Consort Zhao didn’t dare to say anything and looked at the Emperor with tears in her eyes. The Emperor threw a cold glance at her and said with a sneer, “I still didn’t know you had stretched your hand so long. You have something to do with Lian An. I haven’t known for so many years that even the maids in Lian’s Manor are similar to you. He even sent the selling indenture to the palace. What did you want to do? Did you try to plot against Old Eight?”

“Your Majesty, how, how could you say that? How, how could I do something like that? King Xuan is the only child that my elder sister left behind. He is related to me by blood. How would I do something like that? When I entered the palace, my elder sister told me about Minister Lian. She only said the He family had done Minister Lian a favor, and so I could ask him for help if I got into trouble.”