♥️ 74. They're playing with fire♥️

Nik and Elijah sit opposite from each other in the living room as each of them read their own book. I'm laying on Niks lap, also reading. Nik is reading  'A Poison Tree' by William Blake, Elijah is reading one of his mother's grimoires and I'm reading 'IT' by Stephen King. A dead girl lays on the coffee table, her neck bleeding from puncture wounds in her neck, while we listen to classical music, which is totally not my style.

I take the girls wrist and bite into it, as I read the book. After a moment, Rebekah enters the room. "So, this is what you do the first time we're back together as a family? Vampire book club?"

Klaus continues reading. "Reading edifies the mind, sister. Isn't that right, Elijah? Maddison?"

"Yes, that's quite right, Niklaus." Elijah says not even looking up. I just nod my head and continue to drink as I read.

"And what's this business?" She gestures to the dead girl on the table, she also walks over to me and slaps the girl wrist out my mouth.

"Hey, that was my breakfast!" I stick my middle finger at her and she roll her eyes.

"This is a..." Elijah gestures as though he's searching for a word "...peace offering. That Maddison is enjoying more than me."

Klaus sighs. "I presumed, after so much time desiccating in a coffin, that my big brother might be a bit peckish."

"Not my fault your forgiveness is gift tasty." I mumble as I drop her wrist and read my book.

"And I explained to my little brother that forgiveness cannot be bought. I'd simply prefer to see a change in behavior that indicates contrition and personal growth." Klaus rolls his eyes guiltily, and Elijah gestures to the girl on the table. "Not this nonsense."

Klaus grins. "Well, my love and I couldn't very well let her go to waste, could we?"

"Yea because this nonsense." I gesture to the table. "Was all your doing."

"Well, I suppose I'll go fetch the rubbish bin, because she's staining a two hundred-year-old carpet." Rebekah says annoyed.

Elijah, Klaus and I looks up from our book to see the girl bleeding out onto the table, where the blood drips onto the floor. "Ah, yes." Elijah mumbles.

"Tragic." Klaus and I say simultaneously, then we go back to reading our books.

"Shouldn't you be worried about the pregnant surrogate?" Elijah asked, and I glance at him then back at my book.

"Shouldn't you be more worried about the wolf more than my child?" He smiles and looks down at his book and I look up and Nik. "Read to me?"

Klaus looks down at me and smiles before looking back at his book. "I was angry with my friend:" I notice Klaus looking at Elijah. "I told my wrath, my wrath did end. I was angry with my foe: I told it not, my wrath did grow. And I watered it in fears, Night and morning with my tears; And I sunned it with smiles, And with soft deceitful wiles. And it grew both day and night." Klaus looks over at Elijah, and then to Hayley as she walks through the room and into the kitchen, her hand resting on her pregnant belly. "'Til it bore an apple bright. And my foe beheld it shine. And he knew that it was mine. And into my garden stole." Klaus watches Elijah set down the grimoire and follow Hayley into the kitchen. "When the night had veiled the pole; In the morning glad I see, My foe outstretched beneath the tree."

"If you're worried about Elijah running off to find his own happiness....then you should be terrified." I laugh as I get up and join the couple in the kitchen.

Elijah and I finds Hayley rooting through the fridge to make herself breakfast. Elijah leans on the doorway and smiles at her and I walk in and have a seat. "Good morning." Elijah says towards the wolf.