65 - Power and Control

2.7k words
༻✦༺
Countdown: 8 months

Anakin's POV
With my hood up and my head lowered; I took a drink of the brown liquid that tasted bitter against my tongue and burned my throat.

Her divorce comment...hurt.

I already had one failed marriage with a woman who no longer wanted me, despite my love and devotion for her. Now I'm afraid of it happening all over again, will (y/n) change her mind about me just like Padme did?

Was Obi-Wan right?

'She doesn't really love you Anakin, you're not worthy of love. She only loves the freedom you gave her. You're simply the only person who has ever been kind to her, she'll leave when she finds someone better.'

Without allowing my paranoid mind to dwell on a statement made midst torture, I downed the rest of the glass and asked the bartender for another.

The way he moved quickly every time I asked for something made me wonder if he noticed who I was or not, seeing as he didn't rush with anyone else. But I was too intoxicated to peak into his mind, and it seems he hasn't said anything to anyone here so I figured it didn't matter. He probably knew I didn't want my identity known and kept his mouth shut - smart man.

I know I could've stayed at home for a drink, but I feel like I've been cooped up in that temple for ages now - I needed to get out, to clear my head for a bit.

"Thanks," I mumbled to him when he finished pouring my glass. I may be ruler of the galaxy and a dictator, but I still know how to be polite. My mother did raise me to be after all. Although she's probably rolling in her grave looking at me now.

He nodded slowly, "Everything alright with you tonight sir?" He asked politely, cleaning the surrounding area where I accidentally spilled a few drops of my previous drinks.

"I'm married," I simply said and I saw the corner of his lip twitch into a smile. My eyes still remained hidden by the shadow of my hood, but the bottom half of my face was visible to him.

"As am I, it's tough and he drives me insane most of the time, but he's worth it in the end." He spoke about his husband with such pride that I actually felt happy for him - or it's just the alcohol.

Yeah it's the alcohol.

I sighed as I twirled my cup in a circle against the bar top, "I'm just afraid of her leaving me one day." I guess it's true what they say, the bartender is practically your therapist. I don't know why I was pouring my thoughts out to him, but I couldn't help it, "I've been married once before and it didn't end well, I don't want history to repeat itself." Maybe that's her big secret, maybe she's falling out of love with me. Hell, maybe she regrets marrying me.

Okay now I'm just thinking stupid things, alcohol will do that to you.

He hummed with a nod, and I dropped my head back down to look at my cup of whiskey, "Has she given you any reasons to indicate she doesn't want the marriage anymore?"

I shrugged, "Shes secretive, and she basically threw divorce in my face when I asked her what she was hiding from me."

The bartender stood up straight as he cleaned a glass he picked up from behind him, "We all have our secrets, but that doesn't mean it's something bad - she could just be trying to save you from a burden. Everyone has a right to some kind of privacy."