Eighteen.

ADAMAWA STATE, NIGERIA.

"I need a spouse for my daughter." Musa Babagana's eyes glazed over the path in front of them as if thinking what to do with his life but instead, it is all about his daughter. Which daughter though? Fatima or Aalia?

Ahmad's curiosity is more than his professionalism hence he dropped the formalities and inquired. "Your daughter?"

Musa Babagana nodded his head at the question as if expecting him to know which of them he is talking about. It's definitely going to be Fatima since she is the oldest and reckless one amongst the two. You'll hardly find Aalia causing trouble in the house neither does she seek attention from school so any sane person is supposed to know what a man with these sort of daughters wants to get one out of the way and off his shoulder.

"Fatima has come to age and if I will allow her, she won't get married now if ever. I want to take matters in my hand and get her married as soon as possible. Things are not okay with her and she needs the security of a spouse and shoulder to lean on." The man's words were discharged with the augmenting compassion and care for his daughter but they lack feelings in it's depth.

Ahmad now understand why Fatima wanted her father to come get her out of jail few days ago. The man has no feelings and the safest way to attract his attention is by becoming the person she is. He is not trying to excuse her attitude, she is still boorish and lacks any touch sympathy for anyone in her path. Most people don't understand that attention seeking won't get them the attention they want. It will be there but only for sometime.

If only she would hear what he has to say to her. He's been and still is in her shoes but the maturity within him won't allow him to seek unnecessary attention when it is not needed. This that she is doing is absolutely unnecessary, it makes no sense. If only she is one to listen, he'd suggest a therapist to her, that's what she needs in his opinion and not a husband.

A secret to happiness is letting every situation as it is instead of thinking what it should be and making the best of it. Albeit exposed to the world, Fatima still thinks and acts like a sheltered person. She's surrounded with friends but he could swear on his life that she is alone and keeps her secrets to herself. She might be a psychologist but he is also one because he chose that during his first year for more understanding of his job.

"Why do you think she needs a spouse because things are rough?" And more importantly, why are you telling me about your plans on your daughter? He wanted to season the last part but kept quiet, he wants to get to the bottom of this. And from years of experience, keeping quiet does the work.

Musa Babagana grinned at that, he heard the defense in his tone but to him, Ahmad is still a child. He might be good at his work but it doesn't mean he knows what is better for his daughter. Ahmad is thinking like an American, someone that didn't grow up in the Hausa society like he did. Their forefathers used to say whenever a girl is getting harder to bend, marriage is the best solution which is something he wants to do.

The emotions displayed -accidentally- in his daughter's eyes are things he cannot handle. She wants vengeance, she is tired of getting pushed away and growing up without love. All she's been doing will be primary to what she will plan for him, he needs to end that before it gets too late for him to do something about it. Seeing her only bring out the worst in him, that needs to stop.

She might think what he is about to do is the worst thing he's ever done to her but in the future, she will find out that it is not easy not being close to his own daughter not because he doesn't want to be, but because he cannot. By looking at her, his past and their little tragedy always exhibit itself in front of him. He even gets violent sometimes and acted on it once upon a time. He doesn't want a repeat of that or she'd be ruined forever by the last person that is supposed to cause her pain.