Twenty Four.

ADAMAWA STATE, NIGERIA.

"I can't believe this! You got married to that girl without my consent? No, keep consent aside. You got married without telling me? Who told you that you have the right to do as you please just because you are older now? You are still my son! I gave birth to you." Ruwaidha kept quiet to take a deep breath, her throat parched from so much shouting and yelling.

Ahmad just got a call from his mother right before he left for the office around ten in the morning. He got married few hours ago but for the time he's spent digging up some case in his room, he's forgotten about the marriage on his head till he saw his mother's call. The minute he saw her name flashing on his screen, he knew shit is about to hit the fan and if he doesn't gather up good explanation, she'd disown him.

The fact that she loathes Fatima is going to be the main problem and look at them. Her concern is that he got married to Fatima even though he is sure this spark would've come even if he got married to another girl. He vowed to never marry and she knew he wasn't joking when he said that but suddenly this? She has the right.

Normally, Ahmad will call to tell her he is leaving for the office and won't be able to come in as it is urgent but he didn't want to do that today. He wants to get over this once and for all so he can continue dealing with his changed life. So many things needs to be done and if he is being honest, he just wants to escape reality or fly to Texas to calm himself down. It is happening too fast for his liking.

It all feels chimerical. Not exactly in a fanciful way but something he is unable to explain, no joy or felicity.

He sighed, surfing through the words his mother would like to hear at the moment. Apart from apology, what else do mother love to hear all the time?

"I got married not because I want to, I had to fulfill a promise I made her father. When I took her to the hospital, I heard that she needs surgery and that will render her infertile. It is either that surgery or she gets married as soon as possible. Her father told me about it and I promised to get him a nice groom for his daughter but he wanted me to marry her." He kept quiet, waiting for her to digest it but she interrupted the silence.

"Oh do continue. I want to know why you agreed to this so called marriage when the mere mention of it makes you want to puke!" Okay, she is not ready to back down but what is done is done.

He smiled at her, she didn't share the joke because her face remain stoic and austere. "I promised to get the groom by the next morning but I couldn't. Trust me, I tried to do all I can but it is not possible to get someone willing to marry her not because of her father's wealth and -"

He was cut off by his mother's huff of annoyance. "And you are the nice person willing to marry her not because of her father's wealth? Do tell me please, I want to know." She crossed her arms underneath her bosom, face stern and still very much angry.

He raked his hands through his growing hair and sigh. If his mother is ready to listen, she would but she clearly wants to harry him with diatribe in any possible way she can. "You know more than anyone that I have nothing to do with the affluent."

His answer is curt, he wants to end it and leave. There are things he needs to do and very few hours remain for the day. "I know but I am still not getting your point. How did you end up married to that brat?"

Brat. The name suits Fatima if only she was spoiled instead of ruined by her own father.

"It's a promise I made that I had to fulfill. Do you have any other thing to say or should I see myself out?" Yes, he is being curt but sometimes his mother just doesn't know where to stop.