Forty Three.

JUMA'AT KARIM❤️

ADAMAWA STATE, NIGERIA.

Ahmad paused at the threshold of his home at the amazing smell and best aroma he's smelled in months. His mother is not a great chef neither is his aunt so he didn't get to scent things as amazing as this and Fatima shouldn't even be mentioned in that category. Wherever chefs are mentioned, Fatima shouldn't even look at the place to avoid getting the word smashing on her face for no reason. She's never tried wanting to cook and at the rate she is taking hunger and never trying to help herself, she is a hopeless cause.

He then remembered the guest they have but the silence in the house confirmed the lack of car outside, Fatima is not back from wherever she went to but he knew she is safe since her bodyguards didn't call to update him on any trouble she's caused. She's been lenient these days that he is afraid of what she is planning to letter him and from what angle it will come from. She likes taking him by surprise and no matter how much he wants to find out what goes on in her mind, he can never solve an embroiled, intricate and entangled person like Fatima Musa Babagana.

He furthered into the house to greet their guest and found her removing an apron from around her in the kitchen, her back turned to him. He stood for a bit so he won't startle her before opening his mouth and greeted her with Taslim which she replied without turning back, her hands are tugged to remove the tight knot that wouldn't unlatch itself. Ahmad politely entered the kitchen in that quiet strides that Fatima despise because to her, man as big boned and large as him should stomp while he works. How does she want that to happen when he exercises and run more than a cheetah does?

"May I?" She nodded briskly so he used two of his fingers and expertly untied the knot with such ease that surprised her but did nothing to him. He is used to ambushing tough places and using such tricks are must.

Adda-mama turn around to regard her son-in-law only to deflate, her eyes widened as she stared at him and his did the same because he knew this woman and she does him. Ahmad could see his whole life crashing down from the highest crest to the trough in ruthless crashes making his head ache fully behind his skull. The woman stared back with complete disbelief, her face damaged and marred with galvanization that sure is registered all over his face. His head throbbed some more making it ache excruciatingly and his heart became restless in his myocardium. This is not good.

They didn't talk to one another the whole time and five minutes passed, none could muster enough courage to say anything because the shock didn't wear off. Her eyes glossed over as she took him in again, registering that he is looking far better than when she's met him years back. His face has filled up and he stood straighter like a man, no more lanky movements of someone who's grown unexpectedly and didn't know how to handle longer limbs. His eyes changed though, that wasn't the color of his eyes and she is sure he used something to hide the real color from everyone. Why hide such beautiful thing?

Ahmad gazed right back, his eyes blinking in rapid strokes, the eyelashes disturbing his cheekbones. Just like she's thought him looking better than he had years ago, he also thought so because she looks younger now and more beautiful than he recalled. Her small frame has filled up with age, her wide set doe-like looking more pretty above her narrowed button nose. Her face gained a bit weight but didn't disrupt the beauty of her age which is probably touting for sixty. She didn't age much, a family trait or something relatively close.

"Ahmad." She finally whispered after what seems like decades passed by. He couldn't say anything only looked at her like he's suddenly lost his vocal cords, he feels like he has though.

Sighing, he held her elbow and accompanied her to the living room knowing whatever he does he cannot forestall talking to her. But why would his past come crashing down on him in form of Fatima? What on earth is the universe trying to prove now by bringing this woman back into his life? He's suffered through so much to want to endure more pain than his entire lineage could carry.