Seventy Four.

ADAMAWA STATE, NIGERIA.

"Is he going to be alright?" Ahmad asked the doctor that walked out of the hospital room looking disheveled and disoriented.

Wiping the perspiration off his forehead, the man shook his head with a grimace. "He is going to die but he wants to talk to you. I'd advise you not to go inside but he said it is urgent." The doctor explained still grimacing at the hideous sight he's left behind in the hospital room. How can someone slowly be turning purple from dark skinned and getting hair?

Ahmad furrowed his brows and went inside the room after reassuring Fatima he will be alright. He saw Adeelah walking hastily from down the hallway with his mother but he didn't stop to wait for them and entered inside the room only to make a face and close his nose at the ugly smell. Where's such unpleasant smell coming from? Maybe that was why the doctor was grimacing throughout but from where? This is the best hospital in Adamawa State and he didn't go through such smell when he was brought there just few months ago.

He approached the bed and blanched at the sight of the man he's mistakenly hit with his car. Constable Ashiru lie there hopelessly with a knife held in one hand, his skin rapidly changing from dark skin to an ugly plum color, his hair getting as if he's been in the room for years without taking bath. Ahmad is not believing his eyes, he blinked several times to clear his vision but the sight didn't change only that Constable Ashiru is now smiling with rotten brown teeth, that wasn't how his teeth was! What the hell is going on with this man? Who's poisoned him?

Worried, he trudged forward, his hands falling away from his nose and forgetting about the smell for the time being. He's just hit the man while reversing out of the station's parking lot in a hurry after receiving a call from Betsy that she's lost consciousness outside her bathroom door, she's been sick all night going down with fever, he was reluctant to leave but she reassured him that Betsy will take care of her while he is away at the station trying to get a position for her elder brother which would've been a success had it not being for the phone call. Constable Ashiru was rushing into the station looking lost when Ahmad sped out and ran over him.

But how could just running over someone result to such hideous sight? There is no way something is wrong with his car or maybe the Constable is allergic. This looks like poison and that too when you swallow myriad of it and waiting for it to start working. Did someone poison him while he was away after taking excuse to go solve family personal issues? He left for just two hours then came back and the accident took place. Something is wrong, Ahmad will have to investigate after this.

"Did someone poison you?" He asked, his face set taut ready to go attack whoever this person is.

He's seen Ashiru worried and restless for the past few days, he's asked but he said nothing was wrong and he is just a bit wary with work and stress. Ahmad agreed because they've been working really hard changing the system and how the force works after getting a go ahead from Mr. President and Inspector general. Ahmad has been flying from state to state, seeing how things are going and correcting them when it's wrong and so far, they are doing a good job. Things are changing, the poor are cheering and opulence are in hysterics. There is no way out now with corruption and bribery because once you are caught, you will be dismissed without the benefit of doubt.

A low cackle filled with pain erupted from the constable's mouth. "No one can poison me. I'm going to die anyway with or without the accident since the truth about me is out. My identity and everything." His eyes were fiery with wicked anger, promising to come back in another form for vengeance as if that happens in real life.

Ahmad is now confused about what the man is saying. The Constable Ashiru he's worked with is no older than forty but the man lying in the bed currently looks like he is older than his grandfather. "What are you talking about? Which truth and identity?" Ahmad confirmed that he really is a police officer seeing as instead of caring about the man's wheezes and pain, he wants to find out what the man is hiding.