B A L T E R

{To dance artlessly, without particular grace or skill but usually with enjoyment}

✧✦✧

Classes were dull, the learning never got harder, only easier. I cursed myself for learning most of this year's courses during the summer, I should have gone out with my friends, I should have visited. But instead, I was taking care of Opal, I missed her terribly. She was born during the summer before my third year, neither one of my parents had told me about my mother being pregnant, I was instructed to stay at school the Christmas of my second year, and when I got home for the summer, my mother looked like she had swallowed the moon. 

I would sit in her room with her while she played with dolls and other toys she had, I would sit and read while she made up random stories, fantasies, all while our parents were busy. I couldn't help but feel like we were burdens to them, though I knew they loved us, they told us every day. They cooked for us, they provided us with so much, they just had too much on their plate. Too much to deal with, so I unknowingly offered my help, to look after my baby sister while they made the money to help keep us alive and well.

"Ames, you're the sober one tonight," Luis smirked as we walked into the great hall for lunch.

I rolled my eyes at the fact that I would have to take care of everyone while they were all nearly blackout drunk. The past Saturday nights went well, we didn't play any drunk games, so no one got attacked, or bombarded with questions. Crabbe and Goyle brought the weed, while Blaise and Luis sorted everyone else out with drinks. The old tradition started back in third year, though when it started, we would just hang out and listen to music. The weed and alcohol started to join the picture last year.

"You missed breakfast, again." Jasmine groaned as we took our seats at the Slytherin table.

"Well, I'm sorry I slept in." I laughed, she knew that she could have woken me up if it really meant that much to her.

"Your owl came and dropped this." Blaire smiled, passing me a letter with the Greenwood family crest stamped into the forest green wax.

My brows furrowed as I took the letter and grazed my eyes over the cream paper. A smile grew into the corners of my lips as I read the single word that was inscribed on the envelope.

'Amy'

No doubt, it was from Opal, her messy handwriting was scribbled into the page. She was the only person I would allow to call me Amy, my parents were never allowed to speak the name, it was purely reserved for Opal. I tore open the delicate paper and took out the letter inside. The writing inside the envelope was much neater, mother must have charmed a quill for her. 

Dear Amy,

I miss you a lot. 

Love, 

Opalite Christie Greenwood.

The small letter filled me with joy, seeing the small writing, the meaningful words. The way she signed her full name at the end, she truly adored her name, unlike me. Opalite would never have to endure the amount of power my name held, her name was lighter, she was lucky that she wouldn't have to go through the mental strain I did. But seeing her words littered onto a page caused a light to ignite in my body, I knew she was okay, I knew she was alright. As I looked into the envelope further, I found another page, this one held a drawing. A drawing full of many colours, crayon residue littered over the page. I could make out the small stick figure girl, her blonde hair meant that the girl was Opal herself. The person to her right had brown hair, long brown hair which fell nearly to the ground in an exaggerated state.