P E T R I C H O R

{The smell of the Earth after rain}

✧✦✧

Jasmine handed me a Honeydukes mice pop upon my arrival at the boys' dorm. There was music playing softly in the background and just meeting his eyes sent a wave of chills throughout my skin. I took a seat next to Blaise as I began licking the sickly sweet mouse-shaped pop. I was never too fond of sugar quills, they were always too sweet and the edible ink always gave me an unsettling feeling in my stomach. I found that mice pops were so much better and tasted like a proper sweet. 

I could suddenly feel his eyes on me as I spoke to Zabini about Merlin knows what, "But I would look good with purple hair, don't you think?" He continued to push and push, tugging at the coloured stands of Jasmine's hair. 

I rolled my eyes at his childish actions. Blaise was adamant that what was happening between Draco and me was a prank. We tried to explain it to him, but he wouldn't listen and continued to tell us that we were being idiots. Clearly, Blaise couldn't get out of the mindset he was stuck in. He thought we hated each other, that we had a bitter friendship that would never resolve itself. I tried to explain to him that we didn't hate each other, but he insisted we were playing with him. I looked towards Draco and Luis, deciding it would be fine to just play along. We still told him he couldn't tell anyone—I think he found that rather suspicious.

Blaise took a long swig of his Beetle Berry Whiskey before placing the bottle down on the table in front of us. I looked towards Crabbe and Goyle, signalling my need for a spliff—to which they kindly obliged. 

I continued to suck on the mouse-shaped lolly while I tried to focus on the conversation between Blaise, Jaz and I. Jasmine laughed while Blaise tried to convince us to dye his hair for him, he couldn't let the topic go. I shook my head as I looked over to where Draco was sitting. His jaw rippled upon meeting my gaze, and I watched him as he straightened himself while giving me a look I couldn't describe. His eyes darted from me to Luis constantly as he continued to readjust himself. I was confused by his discomfort, though a sudden thought popped into my head.

"Why so uncomfortable, Draco?" I thought as I tried to hide the smirk that threatened to show.

His eyes glanced over to me and I took the opportunity to take the mouse pop into my mouth before slowly dragging it out again. His jaw tightened and I felt as if I could almost hear his teeth grinding together. I took the opportunity to lick my lips and tucked my bottom lip in between my teeth while I put my focus back on Blaise.

"Don't let your imagination grow too ambitious, Draco. You might find yourself in a position where you may need my help," I bit harder on my lip to hide my smile.

I could hear him shifting on the couch as he cleared his throat. I pulled up my walls again after having my fun, focusing back on the conversation with Blaise and Jaz. I placed the mouse pop stick in the rubbish as I pulled the joint between my lips and shuffled with the box of matches.

"Can we play a game?" Blaire asked excitedly just as I was about to light he stick that was perched between my lips. 

I paused in my actions, thinking ahead of time. I thought of the games Blaire could come up with and how that could possibly affect what was going on between Draco and I. But then I thought about how everyone was either drunk or high, so the only person who would remember such details would be the sober one. 

Jasmine.

I felt bad about lying to her, though she had secrets of her own. And it wasn't like I was hiding the fact that someone genuinely made me happy—she and Blaire both knew there was someone. I just never specified who.