U S T U L A T I O N

{A burning lust}

✧✦✧

The ballroom was filled to the brim with people. Some I recognised, others I did not. Draco and I held onto Opal as much as we could, never wanting to let her out of our sight. I watched as more and more people filed into the space before us, each one began dancing to the slow orchestral music that was playing. 

"Amethyst—tu as l'air magnifique!" Ally suddenly appeared before us.

I smiled and hugged her eagerly. Ally was always so kind and caring towards me. Narcissa, Ally and my mother were all good friends during their years at Hogwarts, I only wished that my friendships never faltered like theirs didn't.

"Thank you, Ally. It's so good to see you." I responded as I pulled away. 

"Benjamin! Look who it is!" Ally beckoned her husband towards us. 

He instantly pulled me into his embrace, his sandy blonde hair was slicked back while he hugged on for a moment too long. I found Luis and Charlie wandering over to the five of us while Benjamin pulled back.

"You've certainly grown up since the last time I saw you two." He looked between Draco and I.

We both smiled awkwardly, his accent was thicker than I remembered it, but I was able to understand him completely fine. I had missed our holidays over in France, the people and the scenery filled me with a joy I no longer held. Every single time we would visit, we never missed the opportunity to go up the Eiffel tower. 

"Hey—you two nearly ready?" Charlie asked, breaking up the slightly awkward tension between us all. 

"What do you mean?" I asked with furrowed brows.

"Oh! Are you two playing? Je ne peux pas attendre!" Ally beamed excitedly. 

I had almost completely forgotten that we were meant to play for everyone. Anxiety began bubbling through my skin and taking over my entire body. I would have much rather played our group song, that would mean that everyone's eyes would be on both Draco and I, not just me. Singing in front of a whole room filled to the brim with people was never my favourite thing in the world. 

"Do you want to do it now? Just to get it over and done with?" Draco asked me in a whisper. I nodded slowly in a silent response, "You'll be fine, Angel." He smiled.

I nodded again before picking Opal up and handing her over to Luis, "Look after her, and don't put her down." I told him sternly, afraid I was going to lose her in the crowd.

I drew in a deep breath as I kissed Opal's forehead, trying to rid my anxiety from my body. With the ring on my neck, I slipped it onto my thumb, allowing Draco's heartbeat to spread through my being. I breathed with his heart, knowing he was safe, knowing Opal was safe. I slowly began to calm down naturally. 

Draco took my hand and began guiding me to the front of the room. The black grand piano sat there staring at me, laughing at me for being so fearful. But it wasn't the one singing in front of a room full of people. It just had to sit there and look pretty while I did all of the work.

"You'll both do great," Cissy told us as we approached, "Start when you're ready, and as soon as it's over—you can retreat back into the corner of the room." She smiled, knowing exactly what would happen afterwards.

I nodded my thanks before I took my seat at the piano. Draco checked to make sure his guitar was in tune before giving me a loving smile. A smile that calmed every little bit of fear inside me. I nodded as a signal to start, letting my fingers touch and tap every single key it should. Although we loved our song with the heavy distortion and the drums—we liked to play it softer, calmer.