A M E T E

{To terrify}

✧✦✧

My world was dark.

The dagger that twisted through my chest had been pulled out—leaving me to bleed profusely as I lost my light. 

I couldn't sleep. I couldn't stop thinking about how he lay there. His eyes were closed, his whole being looked as if he was at peace. At peace without me. 

I did that to him.

It was all my fault. 

I made him believe that he meant nothing to me. I made him do what he did. I was the one who blew the candlelight out—leaving me in the dark. I couldn't survive without him. My lungs were almost nonexistent as I tried so hard to live. As I tried too hard to breathe. My whole life was gone. My love and the people I cared about most in the world—they were gone. 

Blaise refused to leave my side, he refused to let me leave his room. I stared at the floor, my leg bouncing as I couldn't stop thinking about how I was the one responsible for it. I could hear Cissy crying down the hallway. I could hear Blaise as he tried to reign in his emotions. But I sat there with a blank expression. I was completely numb. 

I had cried all my tears and felt pain like no other. I couldn't feel the pain I usually would as I picked at the skin around my nails. I couldn't get the image of his body out of my mind. But I knew he would be watching over Opal. I prayed he would. I prayed he heard me, that he knew I didn't mean what I said. He needed to know that I loved him. He needed to know that I never wanted to lose him. 

He needed to know that I would have married him the very second he asked. 

He needed to know so many things. 

The twelve chimes of the clock downstairs let me know it was officially a new year. But it was a new year without him. I would have kissed him, I would have hugged him and held on forever. Our moments together, our lives—it was all just a memory now. My best friend. My lover. My whole being. He was everything. 

With the ring he gave me around my thumb, his pulse was nonexistent. I wasn't sure if I saw him correctly, he wouldn't do something like that. We promised each other that we wouldn't break again. We promised. And although I intended to break him, I knew Draco would always keep his promise. 

While Blaise placed his hands over his face, I took the opportunity to stand silently and walk out of his room. I needed to know, to have some confirmation that it was truly him. As I walked towards my room, I could feel my jaw begin to quiver. The room I once loved had turned into one of my worst memories. But I needed to push through. I needed to know that he was truly gone. I could hear Cissy in the hallway, and I could hear Blaise realising I wasn't with him anymore. I heard his footsteps, and so—I ran. 

I ran into my room and slammed the door shut behind me, locking it and allowing another tear to escape me. I was in the room. Where it all happened. Blaise's knocking and banging on the door only turned into muffled sounds. All I could focus on was the light from the bathroom. I walked slowly, trying to breathe with every step. But it's so hard to breathe when your oxygen was ripped away from you.

My knees gave away once more, leaving me to hold myself up against the doorframe. However, there were no screams. Only silent tears and small whispers as I saw him. His eyes closed over and his skin had grown more ghostly than before. It had only been ten minutes since I was ripped away from him. 

The deep crimson that once surrounded him had been cleared, though he was still there. My life. My love. My moon. He was the light that held me together when Opal left us. He was the light that kept me grounded. He allowed me to see within the darkest times. He protected me with his entire life. But everything we had, were all but memories. Our present gets turned into something we might someday struggle to remember.