E U T O N Y

{The pleasantness of a word's sound}

✧✦✧

I woke up to a hand hitting my nose. It caused me to jolt awake and my heart rate to rise. Though as I heard her light snores, I relaxed. Pansy had rolled over and hit my nose in the process. I couldn't blame her, I could only imagine how long it had been since she had had a decent sleep.

I stared at the ceiling, replaying Draco's words in my head.

"I've got a surprise for you tomorrow."

I couldn't stop thinking about it all night. I needed to know what it was. Surprises were always one of my least favourite things. And Draco knew that better than anyone. I wanted more than anything to jump out of bed and find him. But I couldn't do that to Pansy, I needed to make sure she was alright. That she was settling in as best as she could. 

I knew far better than anyone how it is when it feels like you're going mad. I had experienced it first hand. They would never know what it felt like to go from such an abusive place to one where you finally feel free. Even if the windows were boarded up and most people didn't know where we were, I was still free from the confinements of my tormented home. 

I waited patiently for Pansy to wake up, though I wouldn't dare to wake her up myself. She needed her own time, she deserved to sleep soundly. So I closed my eyes and waited, not realising I was falling back asleep in doing so. But as I woke up, I felt happy. Like I needed that extra sleep to push me through the day. It felt like the perfect start. 

Pansy moved next to me and turned so we would be face to face. Her eyes were open, she was staring into mine. I had never noticed the small constellations on her nose before, but I suddenly wondered if her baby would share those constellations. She studied my face just as much as I studied hers before she parted her lips as if she were going to speak. She didn't though. She lay there staring at me, her brows knotted together. I knew what she was going to ask.

"Is this a dream?" She whispered, fear suddenly consuming her.

I only smiled and picked up her hand, giving it a small squeeze, "Get used to your new reality, Pans. You're safe now." I whispered back just as quietly. 

The fire had run completely cold, not a single amber was burning orange. I slowly picked myself out of bed and made my way to place more wood into the fireplace before lighting it again. I caught her staring at me. It's strange how the body senses that someone's eyes are on you without you even knowing it.

"You're scared, aren't you?" She asked me quietly.

I froze in my movements, "Aren't you?" I retorted.

"This isn't about me, Ames. Are you scared?"

I thought for a moment, wondering how I could put my absolute terror into words. And just as I was opening my mouth to reply, there was a small knock on the door.

"Hope everybody's decent," Ginny's voice called out from the hall.

I let out a breath before I smiled at Pansy and went to open the door. Hermione and Ginny both stood there with two floating trays of food in front of them. I didn't know what to say, but their smiles were beaming off their lips. I stepped aside and watched them as they walked into the room.

"We brought you breakfast," Hermione started as they placed the trays on the bed.

"Well, it's more like lunch. You two slept in, it's about three in the afternoon now." Ginny rolled her eyes as she spoke before gesturing for me to sit down.