S C I N T I L L A

{A tiny, brilliant flash or spark; a small thing; a barely visible trace}

✧✦✧

The autumn season was a strange one. It was as if the skies couldn't decide if it was summer or winter. The only time it had rained was the day we took the train, it hadn't rained since. The clouds were keeping me on edge, making me nearly beg for the tears to fall. I longed to hear the sound of the water droplets collied with the puddles on the ground. I longed for the wet weather, I wanted more than anything to get back into my old habits. Taking long walks in the down-pour at midnight. The moon would be barely visible, though I always knew it was there, the stars tried to shine through the clouds, though the dark grey colour was too strong.

I missed it.

I had made it very clear to Malfoy that if he tried to tell anyone about the reading glasses, I would hex him so many times, he wouldn't be able to recognise his own face in a mirror. I was glad he didn't, I didn't mind the fact that I had the glasses, and I knew I wouldn't get bullied for having to wear them. No one would even attempt to bully me anyway. The sole reason I didn't want them to know, was because I would get teased. Teased in a loving and caring way, though I couldn't mentally handle it. I didn't need to hear all the funny, sarcastic comments.

I was sat in the great hall with Jasmine and Blaire, my book out in front of me as we studied with the rest of the students who had a free period. Luis was in muggle studies while Blaise and Malfoy were Merlin knows where. The words I tried to read were fuzzy, a dark grey haze blurred the usually clear black lines. I squinted as I tried to read without the glasses, only just being able to make out the hazy outline of a few letters. Being able to see as normal when I looked at anything other than letters was taunting, almost as taunting as Malfoy and I. 

If I wanted to read without the glasses, I could cover my right eye with my hand and read clearly with the left, though that would raise some suspicions, and I didn't particularly fancy having to explain why I was covering one eye.  So, I squinted and held my book closer to my face, trying to read the information laid out on the page. 

"Afternoon, ladies," Marcus strolled up towards us, taking a seat across from me, next to Blaire. 

Jasmine and I chuckled lightly to ourselves as we could see Blaire get visibly frustrated while her brother infiltrated our studies. The two siblings spoke in hushed whispers as they nudged each other harshly in the ribs. Marcus usually left our group to be and mostly hung around with Pucey and Montague, we all knew of their situation, being the eldest in their families, they were all made Death Eaters. Their parents were strict, leaving them to be brainwashed by their pureblood ways, to be involuntarily exposed to the inky mark that lingered on their skin. Marcus was kinder than Pucey and Montague, he looked out for his sister, and never showed how the mark had truly affected him. 

"Greenwood," He kicked me under the table to get my attention, causing my eyes to slowly make their way up to his, "Pucey's looking for you again," He chuckled.

I sighed to myself, readjusting my position on the bench, "When is he not?" I chuckled lightly. 

I was still majorly pissed off about the ink incident, and was rather glad Malfoy had given him a beating he wouldn't forget. He was left with a permanent scar that ran down the side of his cheek, it wasn't a scar that could turn anyone on in the slightest, if anything, it made his features even worse.

It wasn't long before Warrington and Bletchly came and sat next to Marcus and I. Warrington sat next to me, rolling up his sleeves as he picked up a bowl of grapes before throwing one squarely at Marcus, "I thought we were going to train?" He asked with a slight laugh.