119. New Normal

Mid December 2023

I was in London for the afternoon to visit Mr

I was in London for the afternoon to visit Mr. DuPont as he'd asked to meet with me to discuss something important.

"Hello? Mr. DuPont?" I called walking into the unnaturally deserted bakery.

"Persefoni? Is that you dear?" I heard his voice from the back of the shop an I smiled running towards the familiar sound.

"Ahh! There she is! The savior of the human race!" He exclaimed hugging me an I tensed for a moment before relaxing in his arms with a smile.

"I've missed you." I whispered with my head on his chest after a few minutes of us hugging, then I pulled away to looked around.

"Where's Mis-"

"This is actually what I wanted to discuss with you dear. Perhaps we should go to the office." He said in a somber tone an I nodded allowing him to grab my hand and pull me with him.

"Why is everything in boxes, what's going on?" I asked confused as I looked around the room, it was almost completely bare all the pictures had been taken down and everything was packed away.

"Persefoni...Petit soleil." (French: Little Sunshine) Mr. Dupont smiled as he gestured for me to sit down across from him an I did.

"Sunny... she isn't doing her best these days. She's um, the doctors say that without treatment all we can do is make her comfortable-"

"Without treatment? Why aren't they treating? What's wrong with her? Did something happen?" I asked frantically but he just held my hands with a smile. It was the kind of smile of a man content with what was about I happen. A look I've seen to many times from the people I love. I hate that look, someone always dies after I see that look.

"She's sick dear. Lung cancer, it's almost ironic when you think about it. Sunny, she never smoked you know? Never in her entire life did she ever touch a single drug. Didn't even drink! Not even the Butterbeer at Hogsmead. It's a funny thing sickness, it sneaks up on you. One minute you're as healthy as can be, you're doing the thing you love and the next...your sick. It was so rapid with Sunny, one day she was fine and the next...I'd come back from a supply run and she was sitting on the floor in the kitchen. She couldn't breathe. It was only stage two when they'd caught it, and we were sure we'd have more time. We wanted you to be ready." He paused as he got up to walk over to the old filing cabinet in the corner of the room. I didn't say anything, mainly because I didn't know what to say, there were no words for this. You'd think after going through all that I've been through I'd be able to explain what loss feels like but...I don't. I have nothing to say, so I sat an I waited.

"As you know, we have a daughter but she and her son have no interest in the bakery. So we agreed that when the time came..." He said handing me a file and gesturing for me to open it as he wiped the tears that had fallen from his eyes.