44. No Matter What

Two Weeks Later

I was sitting in my room watching Grownups when I heard a thud coming from the living room

I was sitting in my room watching Grownups when I heard a thud coming from the living room. I grabbed my phone to see if maybe the DuPont's or Nat texted me about a visit but I didn't see anything so I quickly and quietly grabbed my gun from where it was hidden behind my headboard.

Then I slowly started to search the house making my way in the direction of the noise. When I arrived I saw the Winter Solider trying to scoop dirt back into the flower pot he knocked over while whispering soft apologizes. I clicked the safety off my gun and he froze but didn't turn to face me.

"I'm not here to hurt you." He said in a weak voice an I almost gasped. In all the times I'd worked with him, I'd never heard him speak completely unprompted. In fact had I not seen him two weeks ago I probably wouldn't recognize him. He seemed like a completely different person, in his voice and in the way he stood. Hell, he was whispering apologies to a plant a few seconds ago, this is not the Winter Solider, not in the slightest.

"You can speak?" I asked and he nodded slowly turning around with his hands up like he was afraid of being hit.

"I swear I don't mean you any harm, it's just I was looking for a place to go and all of the S.H.I.E.L.D. safe houses were comprised. All except this one so I thought it was safe. Look I just, I want my life back." He sighed looking genuinely terrified as he stared at the gun I still had pointed at him.

"No games?" I asked and he immediately shook his head.

"I promise." He whispered, his eyes begging me to believe him, begging me not to hurt him. So lowering my gun clicking the safety back on with a nod.

"This is a two bedroom so you can stay in the spare if you want, I go out to the shops once a week but I change my routine everyday so just let me know if there's anything you want an I'll pick it up. Um I just made myself breakfast but if you're hungry I could make you something to eat." I explained as he just nervously stood there, his head tilted to the side as he slowly wrapped his arms around himself. I paused as I took a moment to take in his appearance, he had one a hoodie that was several sizes to big underneath a button up shirt that was to small and incorrectly buttoned. His pants looked old and stained while his shoes where in the wrong feet. He resembled a child who had never dressed themselves before. And then it hit me, this man hasn't done a single thing without being ordered to in years. He was afraid and confused, he needed help.

"Right. Um let's start small okay, it is currently...8:45 and I'm going to go make you breakfast. You can go put your stuff in the room and then I'll go out to get you somethings that will help you get more comfortable okay?" I offered and he slowly nodded before awkwardly grabbed his bag. I pulled my wand from where it had been securing my braids in a bun, waving it to clean up the dirt mess on the floor.

"Okay, first things first...breakfast." I mumbled to myself before walking to the fridge and pulling random things out as Miss Sunny keeps restocking the fridge like every other day.