Chapter one

I look at my floor-to-ceiling mirror at my reflection. Running my eyes down my tall, slender frame, I can't help but smile. I'm not normally this vain but I look really pretty.

My long locks of chestnut brown are slightly curled at the side of my face and my dark brown eyes are sparkling thanks to the mascara, that has made my eyelashes full and long.

I grab the fabric of my off-white cotton dress and pull it up a little higher, so it now sits at least an inch above my knee.

My father will kill me for having it so short but I will just remind him this is just a family and close friend-only dinner.

No one will look at me inappropriately.....

Well hopefully a certain someone notices me...

That certain someone is my father's twenty-eight-year-old best friend; Cole Freeman.

I have had the biggest crush on him, for as long as I can remember and that wouldn't be such a bad thing if I wasn't seventeen.

No one knows about my crush on Cole and I have to keep it that way. My parents are so old-fashioned and closely monitor my phone. We're also part of a religion that forbids any contact with men that aren't related unless you're married.

I'm not even allowed to have a boyfriend or guy friends. If they find out about my feelings for Cole, they won't let me see him again and that will literally kill me.

Plus my feelings for Cole are completely one-sided. Cole doesn't see me anything differently than "his best friend's kid."

It's so frustrating!

Walking away from the mirror, I look at the small clock on my bedside table; it reads, ten minutes to six. The dinner party will be starting soon.

Just after that thought, I hear cars driving up my driveway. I tilt my head towards the window as I hear the cars pulling up in front of my house then slamming doors followed by voices. I walk over to the window of my second-storey bedroom when I hear my favourite voice; Cole.

He is helping his seven-year-old daughter, Emily, out of the car. Once Emily is out of the car and Cole is holding her hand, he looks up to my window and catches me staring at him. I smile embarrassed at him as my cheeks flush pink but Cole just grins at me.

I use this short moment to look over my gorgeous crush. Standing just over six feet, with dark brown-almost black hair and chocolate brown eyes and his naturally tanned skin from his Italian background. Even though he spends his days indoors at the hospital being one of the best doctor in the state, his body is toned with his muscles rippling every time he moves.

Once I've looked over at him, I quickly look away and Emily catches my eye. She waves excitedly at me, I smile at her as I wave back. I love Emily, she is literally my best friend...well my only friend other than my brother, even though she is only seven.

Her mother Kim; Cole's ex died in a car accident just after Emily's first birthday. So Emily clings to me for a mother-type figure.

After waving, I take a step back away from the door then leave my room and quickly rush downstairs to greet the guests. I'm not usually this excited for my family's monthly dinners but this is the first time Cole is coming, so it's going to be worth it.
When I reach the entryway to my house, I walk over and stand next to my brother, Antony. Then we stand behind our parents. Without acknowledging us, our Father opens the door and greets the guests.

Around six guests walk through the door. Antony and I aren't allowed to say anything to them unless we are spoken to first.

Antony and I hate it but it's our family religion so we deal with it. Though most of my parent's friends ignore us, some do give us nods.