Chapter Six

Emily and I played a variety of different games throughout the day. By lunch, I was so worn out so I convinced her to watch a movie with me. Kids are exhausting! Where didn't anyone tell me this! How does someone half the size of me have more energy than me.

We settle on the couch with some popcorn and snuggle up as Emily looks for something to watch. I love everything about movies and every genre. There is something about them that makes them so addictive.  My parents forbid me from watching movies, so whenever I get the chance to watch a movie I zone out and turn my full attention to it.

Emily finally decided on a movie called Shrek, I've never heard of it before but I absolutely love it, so we decide to watch all the other Shrek movies and I swear I'm laughing harder than Emily.

Around dinner time, I order pizza and Emily and I sit on the couch, drawing or playing board games with a High School Musical movie playing in the background. Emily decides at seven she's had enough of drawing and wants to snuggle up on the couch together to finish the movie, within ten minutes I notice she's fallen asleep. I carefully more her off me and lay her down on the couch and wrap a blanket around her. Emily snuggles into the blanket as she starts to snore. I just smile at her before getting off the couch and cleaning up. I pack away all her toys, do the dishes, clean Emily's room then tidy up the house.

It's just after eight by the time I finish so I settle back on the couch and look for something to watch.

"Hmm Bones? I wonder what that's like" I think to myself as I put it on. One episode in and I'm hooked! I'm so focus on the show that I don't notice Cole walking up behind me. He gently touches my shoulder and I let out a loud scream.

Cole quickly covers my mouth with his hand and we both look at Emily. She stirs but thankfully doesn't wake. Cole gently takes his hand of my mouth and laughs.

"Not funny" I frown, holding my chest.

"Actually it was hilarious" Cole chuckles as he kisses me.

I smile under his lips.

"I better carry Emily to bed and then I can get change into something more comfortable" Cole smiles as he walks over to her.

I watch in admiration as he gently picks her up, whispering in her ear so if she wakes she wouldn't have a fright and cradles her to his chest. He gives me a grin then walks out.

Once he is gone, I get up and walk to the kitchen to get his pizza I saved for him early. When I walk into the living room again, Cole is sitting on the couch.

"What are you watching?" he smiles at me.

"Bones. I love it" I smirk, "I order pizza from the money in the tin. Emily said it's for take away nights. I hope you don't mind...I can't cook very well. I promise I didn't just give her junk food all day, she's had fruit and I cooked her a healthy lunch and she seemed to like it..she ate most of it. I promise to try harder" I ramble as I bite my lip. I can't believe Cole has just worked a long shift and I've given him pizza! What type of partner am I?

"Hey! Victoria! It's fine. Emily and I love pizza and that's exactly what we use that money for. I don't expect you to cook babe. I expect you to look after my daughter, I have meals I've made in the freezer you just need to heat up, if you're not comfortable to cook. Don't stress okay. Emily told me yesterday that she has the best day and she loves spending time with you, that's all I care about. My baby being happy and enjoying her day. I know you will look after Emily as if she's your own. I've always trusted you with her and I love the bond you have with each another. Emily is seven and she's fussy when she wants to be. As long as you encourage her to eat that's fine, she'll eat when she's hungry and I wasn't worried about you looking after her. Nothing negative ever crossed my mind" he says cupping my face between his hands.