Chapter Forty-Three

"Happy Birthday son!" Father grins excitedly as we get out of the car once Robert pulls up in front of the restaurant.

In the car I sat next to Antony in the back seat. Apart from a greeting, happy birthday and random chit chat, the car trip was in silence.

"Thanks" Antony mumbles uncomfortable.

Father frowns and walks into the restaurant.

Once he is gone I nudge him, "hey! Chin up! You're partying tonight!"

Antony just smiles as he walks up to mum and hugs her. They talk and smile for a while before they walk into the restaurant with their arms linked.

"Are you partying tonight as well?" Robert asks once they're gone.

"Nope, I'm not eighteen remember. Not that I could if I was eighteen because I would be married to you slavering away and tending to your needs" I snap as I take a step towards the restaurant.

"Victoria" Robert says gently as he grabs my arm.

I stop and look at him as my breath hitches, he hasn't touched me since the kiss.

"What Robert" I frown.

"When we marry I won't restrict you. We can do anything you want. If you want to travel we can, have kids, anything!" Robert says as he holds both my hands.

I bite my lip as it quivers but Robert notices. He wraps his arms around me as I start crying.

After a few minutes I slowly compose myself. Robert rubs my back as I sniff.

"I'm sorry, I've been so emotional lately" I frown as I pull back.

"You don't have to apologise Victoria" Robert says as he wipes my tears away.

"It's just Cole doesn't want kids and-" I blurt out before I could stop myself.

Robert looks at me angrily, "you spoke about kids with him?"

Before I can say anything Robert looks behind him and his face falls.

"Kiss me" he says quietly through clenched teeth.

"What?" I frown as I go to turn around but Robert grabs shoulders and moves me closer.

"My uncle and aunt are behind you. If you want to keep your freedom you have to play the happy fiancé so kiss me" he whispers in my ear.

I give a slight nod as I plant a fake dazed smile on my face. I gently cup his face and giggle a little. Robert grins back as he runs his fingers through my hair.

Moving up on my tippy toes I brush my lips over his. I notice Robert smile under my lips. Robert gently deepens the kiss but leaves his tongue out of my mouth.

When we pull back my fake dazed smile is replaced with a real one. Before we take a step away from each other Robert says.

"I love you Victoria." He whispers looking me deeply in my eyes.

My breath hitches a little as I look at my feet for a millisecond then back up to his eyes.

Feeling eyes burning into the back of my head I take a deep breath.

"I love you too Robert" I whisper back.

Robert grins at me as he rests his forehead against mine as someone walks up behind us.

"I knew you two will make a beautiful couple!" Mary says happily as she claps her hands together.

Robert and I pull away and take a step back. Robert greets his uncle and aunt. I watch Robert in confusion. Plus I don't want to look at his uncle.

I just kissed him and told him that I love him... I was lying..right? The butterflies in my stomach are from the fact I haven't ate since this morning.

My heart is beating insanely fast in my chest because leader Dale is standing in front of me and my adrenaline is making me act all weird and hot...

"Are you here for Antony's birthday?" Robert asks.

This makes me to look up and pay attention.

"No we are just pasting through. Tell Jack that I need to speak to him about Antony's coming for age tomorrow" Leader Dale says.

Robert just nods. We stay silent as we watch them walk away. Once they are gone from sight, I run to the restaurant and hurry inside before Robert can talk to me.

I quickly find my family at the back table. Apart from mum, dad and Antony. My cousin Kirsty, her husband Ethan and their three kids are sitting at the table.

Antony has the middle child: five year old Logan on his lap and pulling funny faces at him.

Kirsty is only twenty-eight and has three kids, a nine year old, a five year old and a two year old. She was forced to marry the day after her eighteenth. Yet she was surprisingly happy about that.

"Victoria!" she grins excitedly as she stands up and hugs me.

I hug her back and grin. I don't agree with her willingness to give in the religion but she is my big cousin and I love her.

Plus when she lived near us before she moved away to live her her husband she use to sneak Antony and I out of the house for days out at the park or something.

Once we finish hugging, her kids hug my legs and I kneel down and hug them all.

"How are you?" I ask them.

"Good!" They grin back.

I awkwardly nod at Ethan; we've barely speak which is odd considering how close Kirsty and I am..well was.

Everyone returns to their seats and I fight the urge to scream when I see I'm seated between father and Robert!

Why me? Why why why???

Antony snickers into his hand and I kick is leg as I pass making him cry out and death stare me. This time I'm the one laughing.

I sit down and father places his arm around the back of my chair. I tense up and everyone else's jaw drop.

"How have you been Victoira?" he ask.

"Um, good?" I say almost like a question.

Father just nods and starts talking to Ethan. Mum, Antony and I share a look saying, "what just happened."

Vote ✔️👍

Comment 🔝📝

Question- why is Jack being nice?

Author's Note
Now updating once a week