Chapter Thirty

Mum and Antony both drop their cutlery on their plates causing a loud chatter.

Cole death stares both Robert and Father with a clenched jaw and I'm just sitting in the middle not knowing where to look.

"Does anyone one dessert?" Mum asks quickly.

"I'm not hungry" Antony, Cole and I say in unison.

"I actually have to go, thank you the dinner" Cole says as he stands up.

"Victoria walk him out" father says as he starts collecting up the dishes and putting them into a pile.

With a nod I follow Cole out.

I catch him with him in the entry, "are you alright?" I ask him as I place my arms around him from the back.

"Yeah I just couldn't sit there anymore" Cole frowns.

Cole turns around and faces me, "how about I sneak into your room tonight" he smiles.

"Yes!" I grin jumping into his arms.

"Just climb through the window, you will properly bump into Julian" I add.

"Hopefully I do because he can gives me tips in climbing through windows" Cole laughs as he leans down and kisses my lips.

I kiss him back passionately.

"I better go, I will come around ten thirty tonight" Cole smiles as he lets me go.

"See you soon Dr Freeman" I grin as I watch him walk out of the door.

When I get back to the table father and Robert are deep in a conversation I quickly sneak back out but not before hearing a few words that catch my attention. I lean against the wall, hidden from view and listen.

"I think Victoria and I will back a great couple through I don't want to force her to marry me, is it possible to just date for a few years" Robert asks.

"I really wish that was possible. If a certain intimate act between you happens and a child is a result then Victoria would have to be shunned and sent away" father says.

"Sent away where?" Robert asks concerned.

"If any women has been found commenting a crime, cheating, having a child out of wedlock, caught having sexual relationships with someone other then her fiancé then she will be sent away to a camp in Europe somewhere, I have no idea what happens to them and some rarely make it back to their families" Father says I take note of his worried tone.

When I realise what he just said I feel the colour drain from my face. I quickly turn around to run to my room but mum is behind me with a single finger to her lips telling me to be quiet. I just nod as I follow her outside and into the back garden.

"Do you understand why I had to say Antony is your father's. If people knew or find out both Antony and I will be shipped away" mum whispers as tears leak out.

I wrap my arms around her and she cries in my arms.

"I promise I won't tell anyone mum" I whisper back holding back tears.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that night I'm sitting on the back porch, cup of tea in one hand and looking up at the stars, thinking about my life.

So much stuff has happened in the two and a half weeks when Cole first kissed me but it feels like a lifetime.

I feel so much older than seventeen and I have cried more in the last week than I have ever in my life but I also have never smiled and laughed as much either.

So the positives balance out the negatives. I have an hour before Cole arrivals and I'm so excited, even though I only saw him a few hours ago I miss him.

As I look for consolations in the stars I hear the back door open. It can't be mum after her little meltdown she when to bed faking illness.

It can't be Antony either because he and Julian are hiding in his room. It's either father or Robert; neither option sounds appealing.

I tilt my head and look to see who it is. My eyes catch Robert's and I can't help skip a breath, and my heart beats faster.

I absolutely hate to admit it but I'm feeling something towards Robert, but not nearly as strong about how I feel about Cole.

"Hey, can I sit?" He smiles.

"Sure" I smile back as I move over.

I watch him walk the rest of the way over and sit very close to me, so our thighs are touching, again my breath hitches.

"Are you ok?" Robert smiles as he casually holds my hand.

I'm surprised at myself when I lace my fingers through his. I look up from our entwined fingers up to his eyes. We continue looking in each other's eyes.

Vaguely I'm aware of the fact we are leaning closer and I'm now focusing on his lips. Before I can think about it Robert touches my lips with his own.

I close my eyes as we continue kiss, slow and sweet until I realise. My eyes snap over and I shove him away from me. I sit back and cover my face with my hands.

"I can't believe we did that!" I groan into my hands.

"You didn't like it?" Robert whispers in my ear.

I shiver as I look at him, his eyes are dilated.

"Of course I liked it but thats beside the point" I frown as I notice I'm leaning towards him again, I lean back again.

"I don't understand" Robert frowns.

"You're kidding me right? You basically as stranger to me Robert! And I'm getting forced to marry you" I snap at him.

Dating Cole has made me argue more.

"I won't force you to do anything. We will marry when you want to and only then" Robert smiles as he tucks a loose lock behind my ear.

If Cole and I weren't dating and had a future then I would be jumping at the opportunity to marry Robert, not only is he young and good looking but he shares my beliefs and wants to travel.

"I'm sorry Robert but I will never want to marry you" I say as I quickly stand up and run to my room.

Vote ✔️👍

Comment 🔝📝

Questions
-Robert or Cole?
-should Tori tell Cole?