Chapter 3: the walking dead

True to his words, Harry wasn't gone longer than five minutes, by the time he'd made it back onto the roof the growling and beating at the door had intensified somewhat, but it wasn't enough to get through the padlocked door. It hallway was too narrow for more than a couple of walkers to beat against the door at a time, so they couldn't put any weight into breaking it down. Crouching down beside Merle's prone form, murmuring a quiet diagnosis charm, it was probably one of the handful of medical spells he knew of by heart. When he had a chance he practiced, specially spells that would come handy in this apocalyptic world.

"Well his fever has come down some, still has a long way to go, best let him sleep the worst of it off, plus I'd rather get some rest before I have to deal with your brother going off the rails at everyone," Harry informed Daryl, nodding briefly, there was nothing more to be done. Harry suspect the drugs had a hand in his temperature being so high as well as being out without shade and water.

"They deserve it!" Daryl snapped, "They deserve everything that's comin' to em!"

Harry stood back up, "If it wasn't your brother, and there was someone making a lot of noise, attracting the walkers would you honestly say you wouldn't do anything in your power to shut them up? Wasting bullets they didn't have shooting walkers that are miles away, and I can imagine the words that would have came out your brother's mouth," Harry pointed out seriously, smirking just a little as he thought on all the words that probably came out of Merle's mouth. "You don't need to answer, I already know it, and you wouldn't need to think you'd react,"

Daryl stared unseeingly at Harry, when forced to think of it that way, he had no choice but to admit he would have put whoever was jeopardizing the group and his safety down with a single arrow to the head. This was his brother through, the second scenario didn't count. Or so he told himself, but even as he vehemently tried to think otherwise, Harry's words had actually sunk so deeply and rooted within his mind, easing some of the anger at the situation but not eradicating it, far from it, his brother was all he had left, he couldn't lose him.

"I'm going to levitate him and Apparate us out of here alright?" Harry told him, with a few choice words Merle was levitating in thin air as though he was resting on a stretcher. Harry stiffened up when he heard gunfire, cars and people, not wanting to waste more time, he grasped a hold of Daryl's wrist and got them back to the relative safety of the Quarry.

Harry flicked his wand in the direction of Daryl's truck, and Merle floated on over, mostly hidden in he shadow of his own motorbike, keeping him away from the suns glare which wasn't too bad with the trees offering most of the protection. Only once Merle was securely on the trunk did Harry fully let up his magic and unconsciously relax. Opening the bottom of Daryl's truck he hoisted himself on top of the metal that barely protested at his weight, flinging over a cereal bar to Daryl and began to eat his own which he'd pulled from his trouser pocket. They had quite a bit of time to kill anyway.

Daryl allowed himself to relax properly for the first time since before dawn, when he had gotten up to start hunting for something to eat. He had tracked the bugger for miles only to find a damn walker chewing on it. The thought of a nice bit of juicy venison sounded real good. Unfortunately it was too risky to eat the thing, something he secretly agreed with Shane, but they were all going hungry. He devoured the cereal bar in three bites before wandering off to find some wood he could use to make himself more arrows. Once he had gathered a few ends he moved back to the truck and began to sharpen the ends with his knife.

Harry clamoured around Merle's body, until he got close enough to his mouth and fed him two potions, that would keep him out of it until tomorrow, he didn't know much about Muggle drugs, but he would be damned if he let Merle continue to use them - it was too dangerous. Merle was going to hate his guts, at least until he was clear. Once the potions had been forced down his unconscious throat, he turned to see Daryl watching him closely. "That's been an hour at least, we should head back, with one walker so close to the quarry it's only a matter of time until more appear, so keep your stuff packed and handy." with that he gingerly stepped around him and jumped off the truck. Grabbing the black bags he'd had in his trunk he lugged them on and snapped the back into place before shrinking his trunk and putting it away again.