Chapter 48

Harry grabbed one of the tennis balls that was strewn everywhere, well it might be a slight exaggeration since there were only five or six overall, Harry got stuff for Anubis whenever he could, anything to keep his mind stimulated, they couldn't exactly take him for walks, so keeping him occupied and active was the next best thing. He loved to run after Sophia and Andre, so there was that, he was definitely one spoiled dog. He stretched back and flung the ball with all his might, and despite the darkness Anubis shot off after the ball, his tail wagging like crazy. Sighing softly, he sat on one of the plastic deck chairs, putting the food he'd brought onto the table, before patting his trousers he groaned when he realized he didn't have any smokes with him. Oh, he'd given them to Daryl who hadn't given them back; in fact they were probably all smoked by now, he chain smoked like a damn chimney he thought with fondness.

"Here," Daryl said, flinging over a new unopened pack; as he took a seat on the four seater wooden bench that had been brought back on one of the days they'd hardly found any supplies. The prison had a lot of stuff like that, all mismatched but nobody really cared, they were just happy to have somewhere safe where they didn't constantly need to keep an eye out for walkers biting them. He opened the can of beer he had brought with him, still trying to organize his thoughts, oddly enough despite everything he didn't want to be away from Harry. It wasn't like he needed his protection, which probably drew him in more.

"Thanks," Harry murmured quietly, opening the packet and taking one out, fishing inside his pocket for his lighter, he sparked it up just in time for Anubis to make an appearance again, chuckling in amusement, he picked the ball back up and flung it away again. Leaning back against the chair, deep in thought.

He couldn't deny that if everyone knew about magic, it would make things infinitely easier for him and Luna to protect this place, to protect everyone. Rubbing his temples, anxiety rushing through him, all his life people had reacted negatively towards magic, feared it even. As much as he didn't want to admit it, he cared and liked all those people here. Sophia, Andre and Carol more than anyone else, but he'd never admit that. Even the three newcomers to a certain extent, they hadn't been at the meeting, they were still adjusting to having somewhere safe to stay, and given how weak and rail thin they were, Harry had made sure they stayed in the cell for a few days of rest, with food and drink being brought to them, two were kids themselves...technically since it had all gone to hell and nobody was actually a 'kid' anymore other than stature.

The thought of the others fearing him...well it worried him. He knew the Dixon brothers were unique in the aspect of finding out about magic and not even blinking an eye about it. He wasn't scared they would hurt him, but rather they would let fear rule them into doing something incredibly stupid, like running away, only to be met with a herd of walkers or something. He had kept magic hidden thus far, kept them safe, and the thought of them fleeing after all this time and effort they'd spent in keeping them safe well...it would annoy him to no end. Although maybe it was time to stop thinking about creating a back-up and actually do it, considering the size he'd been told it was...it would take weeks maybe months to get it sorted (especially since his absence would be noticed if he was gone too long) and well...if they reacted badly he could just leave them the prison which was at least moderately safe at least until the wards wore down but there was nothing he could do about that. He intended on making this one under the Fidelius charm, surrounded by wards, ones that would keep out walkers indefinitely, but it was only him and Luna, he would have liked very much if there were a few other wizards and witches at his side to stabilise any wards they put up better. The beauty? He could put up any wards he wanted; he wouldn't need to explain anything...at least not yet.

"You alrigh'?" Daryl questioned, it was usually him who was silent and Harry usually spoke, even if it wasn't anything in particular. "Ain't like you to be quiet so much."