Chapter 49

Harry Apparated the four of them back, the dead buck they'd found within half an hour and killed, the rattlesnake, who had helped them find it and was now snuggling wrapped around Harry's neck, hidden from view and of course Daryl who had one hand wrapped around the buck and another in Harry's hand. Something that had surprised him, usually Daryl just handed over his wrist, it was the first time he'd actually held Harry's hand, he couldn't help but think about it being a big deal for the reserved hunter, he felt stupid for it though, like a girl who'd just seen a sign that their crush liked them back minus the squealing and fawning of course.

As soon as he had Apparated them he began to look around, using his magic to detect if anyone was nearby, only relaxing when the spell informed him that other than him and Daryl the forest was free of anyone well within a certain radius of course. Except possible walkers, he hadn't tried the spell to see whether it detected them with the spell. So Despite that they both kept a weapon in one hand, the other was reserved for dragging the deer corpse back to the prison, which was directly across from them.

"Let's get going, we've still got a lot to do today," Harry sighed, he wasn't looking forward to seeing what had become of Fort Benning, truthfully, all those people...military and civilian the thousands of people all gone, sure he'd seen a lot of walkers but Fort Benning was probably crawling with them, thousands of them, and he was going to have to be careful, there were so many cars, vehicles, helicopters and all that probably filled with gas not to forgot quite a few underground tanks too, it was like one big civilisation onto itself.

Daryl grunted in agreement, and easily enough between both of them they dragged the deer back home, the tarp they had easing the way, preventing any damage to the corpse. It was Big Tiny and Axel who spotted them first, they had a habit of watching the surroundings of the prison when they were outside, now more so he'd imagine considering what he had told them yesterday about the new threat they'd learned about. Hangover or not they would probably be a little bit more paranoid from now on and Harry actually preferred that to them getting too comfortable and caught unawares.

By the time they'd crossed the road dragging the corpse, both men had opened the first gate and were quickly jogging to the other and opening it with enough room so Daryl, Harry and the deer could fit through. The gates were hard enough to open without opening them all the way when there was just no need. As soon as the duo was in, the gates were once again closed tightly - faster than usual, yep definitely paranoid.

"Thanks guys," Harry said, giving them a nod, before they each grabbed a part of the tarp they weren't holding and lifting it up between the four of them they had less weight to carry and it went smoothly they never took the things inside, they were gutted outside, otherwise the stink would permeate the air. Carol had been learning, mostly just with the squirrels and rabbits they found, she'd never dealt with the bigger animals, but she had been watching Merle teach Luna, listening to his suggestions and things like that so she could do it one day. They dropped it down near the front of the prison doors.

"Whatever you do, don't let Anubis get any of the left over bones, they make him constipated," Harry informed Carol, knowing that she would be near him all the time, since she did not leave Sophia's side unless they were inside the prison. "Just remove everything he can eat from the bones and the organs." they didn't have a vet to take care of Anubis so he really had to take care of him the best he could.

"That's fine, I'll make sure to discard them where he can't get a hold of them," Carol agreed easily enough.

"Thanks," Harry said, "Are you sure you should be up?" he asked Chloe, his eyes concerned causing her to relax a little, she honestly didn't know what was expected of her. For days now they'd been holed up in a cell just eating and sleeping, regaining their lost strength, not locked in though, this was the first time she and the kids had come down, and nobody seemed ready to bite their heads off.